Number of replies: 15

I installed Moodle 3.6 on cpanel with softaculous apps installer

I can't see the site I get an error page

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Irith Herman

Re: Moodle installation in cpanel

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Irith, first and most important, please DO NOT install moodle via any script installer, unless you are giving  a test run to or to see if your hosting can run moodle. It will look like installed, but will bring loads of troubles in future specially when installing plug-ins.

Now coming to your issue, likely it'll be PHP version that you'll be using, differs than the moodle required.

In reply to Usman Asar

תשובה ל: Re: Moodle installation in cpanel

by Irith Herman -
Thank you!
At first I tried to do it by my self.
I did it before in Webmin With no troubles.
I created myesq db , moodledata and uploaded a new moodle .
I copied a config.php fron another site and changed the settings.
when I wrote the adress in the chrome I got a blank page
In reply to Irith Herman

Re: תשובה ל: Re: Moodle installation in cpanel

by Usman Asar -
PHP version for sure, please check what your current hosting is using and which one you had on before, if they match then go into moodledata folder, delete cache, localcache and tmp folders (without worrying about something happening to the site) - they will be recreated once you refresh page.
but do check PHP version on your host first.
In reply to Irith Herman

Re: תשובה ל: Re: Moodle installation in cpanel

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Put this file (below) on your website, for example, https://yourdomain.com/info.php.  Then go to it.  You should see a lot of information about your php, including the version right at the top!

When you are done, you can delete this file.

In reply to Rick Jerz

תשובה ל: Re: תשובה ל: Re: Moodle installation in cpanel

by Irith Herman -
My php version is 7.0.33
I think its enogh for moodle 3.6
In reply to Irith Herman

Re: תשובה ל: Re: תשובה ל: Re: Moodle installation in cpanel

by Usman Asar -

Irith, have you tried deleting the cache and localcache folders?

also, was this moodle that you're importing, was based on softaculous installation on previous hosting?

your PHP is fine for 3.6

In reply to Usman Asar

by Mohammad Nabil -
why do not ?
i installed via softaculous a 6 mounths ago , work perfect till now
i am not expert and softaculous is very easy ti me and for others
what i missing ? and why Irith got error ?
In reply to Mohammad Nabil

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
The problem with softaculous is that it adds things to the install that we cannot see. For example, I have seen some sites write an installer script that allows for install without the required database settings - while this is good initially as it allows their clients to use moodle easily, we see a lot of posts where upgrades fail and we cannot help because we have no way of knowing what exactly the installer has changed.
Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Emma Richardson

by Mohammad Nabil -
yes ,you are right , as example i noticed that mahara upgrade fail ,
i am now run moodle 3.7 and will not upgrade until a major release ( may wait for moodle 4 )
do i lost the upgrade forever ?!

by Rick Jerz -
Mohammad, are you hosting Moodle on a VPS or "hosted" (low-cost) server?
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Mohammad Nabil -
Vps

by Rick Jerz -
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Mohammad Nabil -
you mean that i begin to install a new moodle , then transfer the moodledata , moodle database to the new , test ,then delete the old ?

by Rick Jerz -
Yes, this is my general recommendation. Try to do an install of Moodle from scratch. Experiment! In my videos, I do not show how to "migrate" your Moodle, which is what you will essentially be doing (going from old to new.) Hmmm, maybe my next video should be the one "How to Migrate your Moodle using only cPanel." Incidentally, as your Moodle grows in size, phpMyAdmin begins having problems. But by then, you might be willing to learn a little SSH.

However, since your current Moodle is working, don't destroy it until you have finished your experimentation, know a lot more of what you are doing, have a good backup, and are satisfied with your new Moodle.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

+1 to Usman's and Emma's comments concerning Softac. (and 'like') but I'll go a step further ... it's 'criminal' in my book.

Softac and 'like' are commerical ... you, as customer, use it or not, are paying for it.  Provider makes the app available to customers to use, and then when it doesn't work, providers sends customer to 'community forums' here in moodle.

OK, fine ... where's my 'support' check Softac? (and 'like') ... 'Oh! It's in the mail' ... which will never arrive.

Softac (and 'like') isn't intelligent enough for updates or upgrades.  Dunno if they have ever reached out to Moodle HQ or not ... have never seen a 'shout out' here in forums from Softac ... just a lot of confused and maybe in trouble users.

So 'buyer/user beware'!

No ... am not advertising for a job .... got one ... surviving!  And no, am not speaking for anyone but 'twisted/tainted self'! smile

'SoS', Ken

Average of ratings: Useful (2)