STACK and Maxima version

STACK and Maxima version

by Christopher Sangwin -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Dear all,

I'm looking at longer term support for STACK.  Would anyone object if we withdraw active testing (i.e. support) for Maxima versions before 5.38.1?  We do not recommend 5.37.x anyway.

Please email me off list (C.J.Sangwin@ed.ac.uk) if this is a serious problem, and you would like to contact me privately about it.

We can't support older Maxima forever, but I want this to be a planned process!

Chris

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Christopher Sangwin

Re: STACK and Maxima version

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Open University is using Maxima 5.38.1, so no issue from our point-of-view.

We tend to be constrained by what what version you can find a CentOS/RedHat somewhat-supported .rpm for.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Daniel Thies -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I remember compiling the 5.38.1 binary for CentOS/Redat because there was not any other rpm version other than 5.23.1 which OU was using at time. I made an explicit post on the the build process (Chris may have it referenced in the docs). If 5.38.1 is generally available and putatively supported now, it is because it was supported by STACK at that time.

STACK appears to be big gorilla in the maxima rpm jungle. Given that it might be advisable to designate 5.38.1 as an LTS version in STACK, identify a more recent version now that would be a LTS version, and create another binary now. Eventually that binary will inhabit the backwater of stable rpm repos.

In reply to Daniel Thies

by Daniel Thies -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Actually looking back at this the CentOS/Redhat binaries are from the EPEL repo. These are ports of selected packages of the rawhide distribution that are current when after the Redhat version is stable, but are not updated after that. The maxima version EPEL 6 is the 5.38.1 and the package from EPEL 7 is 5.41.0. EPEL 8 does not seem to have maxima yet. The 5.23.1 version was from EPEL 5. One could look at Ubuntu/LTS, but I do not think usually supported as long as Redhat.