Cannot edit

Cannot edit

by Chara Sotiropoulou -
Number of replies: 12

Hello!

My name is Chara and I am a language teacher from Greece. First of all, I hope I am posting in the right place! If not, please, let me know.

I have a moodle site and I am the administrator. I made it on my own to work with my students but I don't have knowledge and the appropriate administrator skills. 

Now, what am I dealing with... My moodle is upgraded to 3.8 and I also made upgrade in plugins. The problem is that when I go on a course and try to edit an activity or a topic or a block I can't. Editing is not working. But it doesn't give any message. It is like I never chose the "edit". I also can't change language or go to dashboard from the top right of the page (where is the users' name). I also can't take questions from question bank and put them in a quiz (although I can create a quiz and I can create new questions in question bank). I was facing this problem before the upgrade of the plugins.

I guessed that it has to do with the theme. I use EduHub which is not right for this moodle version. So, yesterday I tried to change theme into something that is compatible with 3.8 moodle, but the problem wasn't fixed. I tried two different themes (Fordson and Klass) but nothing changed.

Does anyone have an idea?

Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chara Sotiropoulou

Re: Cannot edit

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Moodle 3.8 changed the way it uses themes. I don't know about EduHub, but you might want to check to see if it needs to be updated to a 3.8 compatible version.
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Chara Sotiropoulou -
Thank you for your response!

The EduHub theme does not have a 3.8 compatible version, so I changed it. I tried two different themes (Klass and Fordson) that are 3.8 compatible but I still have the some problem.

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
If you just want to eliminate the theme the only game in town is the Boost theme that ships with Moodle.

Failing that, it sounds like a Javascript error. Open your web browser's Javascript Console and check for any *red* error messages for the Moodle page.
In reply to Howard Miller

by Chara Sotiropoulou -
Thanks for your response!

It seems that you are right for the javascript error. I opened this console and when I try to edit it gives me a red error message:
jquery-3.4.1.min.js:2 Uncaught Error: Syntax error, unrecognized expression: #
at Function.se.error (jquery-3.4.1.min.js:2)
at se.tokenize (jquery-3.4.1.min.js:2)
at se.select (jquery-3.4.1.min.js:2)
at Function.se [as find] (jquery-3.4.1.min.js:2)
at k.fn.init.find (jquery-3.4.1.min.js:2)
at new k.fn.init (jquery-3.4.1.min.js:2)
at k (jquery-3.4.1.min.js:2)
at c (first.js:491)
at HTMLAnchorElement. (first.js:491)
at Function.each (jquery-3.4.1.min.js:2)

I have no idea what this is and what should I do in order to fix it.
Do you think that this is something I can do or I need a professional to help me?

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

by Chara Sotiropoulou -
Hi, Howard! Thanks a lot for your help!

The solution they suggest is "Check that you're not using just a '#' in your custom menu declarations." But I don't understand what I should do and how to do it.

by Howard Miller -
If, as I assume is the case, that you've not set up custom menus then it isn't going to be that.

by Chara Sotiropoulou -
No, I haven't set up custom menus. You assumed right! If you think of anything else that it could be...
Thanks a lot!

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

How exactly did you upgrade?

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Chara Sotiropoulou -
Emma, thank you for your response! I didn't do anything to upgrade into 3.8. Last year I asked from someone I know to help me (it is not his job although) and he adjust it to do automatically the upgrade of the database (is I say it right). But I have to manually upgrade the plugins. So, now only the plugins I did manually. The moodle was already at version 3.8.2.

by Matthias Giger -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Some plugins cause a JavaScript error with Moodle 3.8 due to some changes from Moodle 3.7 to 3.8.
To find the plugin which causes the problem it is best to deactivate them all, and then activate them one by one until you find the problem. 

In case you have many additional plugins, start with the block plugins, they are probably responsible.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Matthias Giger

by Chara Sotiropoulou -
Matthias, thanks for your response!
I deactivated the plugins, as you suggested, but it didn't fix the problem. One question to be sure that I did it correctly: I was deactivating the plugins (for example the block plugins) and then I was going on a course to check if I can edit etc. Should I have done anything more to check it out?
I also found another discussion on the forum for a similar problem, so I tried to disable caching (deactivate Ajax & Javascript in appearance, check theme designer mode and uncheck cache all language strings) but nothing changed.
Any other ideas?