Problem during installation

Problem during installation

by Bruno Mercille -
Number of replies: 19

Hi,

I just installed a new Moodle site (3.8) and I'm experiencing  a problem at the end of the installation. I set the database informations and validate the php settings and then clicked on the continue button. After the installation was completed, I clicked on the continue button to go to the page where I would create the profile of the admin user.

The image shows a screen to create the admin profile, but it's like my CSS sheet won't load. I can barely fill the fields, but not the one for the password.

I tried different broswers, I wwiped my installation and did it again, same result. Everything was fine until this screen. I really need help please. Thanks!

Bruno

Attachment Sans titre.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bruno Mercille

Re: Problem during installation

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Various things can cause this... we'll need to know a bit more about your system. Some top candidates...

* Try purging the cache
* Are you using nginx? If so, you've probably not set it up properly
* Try clearing your browser cache
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Howard Miller

by Bruno Mercille -

Hi Howard, thanks for four reply.

I cleared my browser's cache et tried many browers. Same result. My site is hosted at ionos.com et the web server is Apache, using PHP7.3, though, I didn't setup nginx.

When you say "Try purging the cache", which cache do you mean?

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Do you have ssh access to your server?

IF so, one can install via command line once code acquired, db for Moodle created and you know the credentials, + moodledata directory created manually and ownerhips/permissions set to allow moodle code to read/write to it.

First thing to check ... can php command find php-cli?

From terminal:

which php [ENTER]

That will show path to php executable.

/use/full/path/shownabove/php -v

If you see something like:

PHP version (cli) (see the cli?)  Good to go.

cd /pah/to/moodlecode/admin/cli/

php install.php [ENTER]

It's only php-cli talking to DB service then ... browser taken out of loop as well as web service/caching.

You should be prompted for the same things via text prompt ... including the allusive admin user password! smile

The server caches are in moodledata/cache ... moodedata/localcache/

and their contents ... note that's contents ... can be removed via command line without any ill affects on Moodle.

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Bruno Mercille -
Hi Ken,

I used SSH to connect to my server and here's the result of the /usr/bin/php -v:

PHP 4.4.9 (cgi-fcgi) (built: Aug 29 2019 12:59:15)
Copyright (c) 1997-2008 The PHP Group
Zend Engine v1.3.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2004 Zend Technologies

When I browse to the admin/cli folder and run php install.php, I get the following message:

X-Powered-By: PHP/4.4.9
Content-type: text/html

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_OBJECT_OPERATOR in /homepages/15/d359926908/htdocs/moodle/admin/cli/install.php on line 114

Am I right if I say that something's missing, like php-cli extension or whatever? If yes, how can I install it?

Thanks!

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Bruno Mercille -
That's pretty strange. In my control panel, I use PHP 7.3. Do you know what could be the reason for this mismatch?

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Command line PHP and the PHP loaded by the web server are completely different binaries and don't have to be the same version.

by Ken Task -

you skipped 'which php'. :|

But, now that we see your CLI envionment is finding an old version of PHP which means you have multiple versions.

So: type env [ENTER]

Look for $PATH ... the php-cli we want is/should be somewhere along that path.   If you have something like 'easyapache' installed, there will be multiple versions of PHP and php-cli installed ... in /opt/????

So another command to find php-cli ...

find / -name php [ENTER]

That will take some time and find multiple 'php's ... we are looking for the one thats same version as web based ... no higher than 7.3.x

Might see: /opt/php73/bin/php

To see if that is php-cli, give full path to -v ...

/opt/php73/bin/php -v

So we see php-cli?

Ok now we know what to type @moodlecode/admin/cli/

/opt/php73/bin/php ./install.php [ENTER]

More later?

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Bruno Mercille -
Hi Ken,

I did the which php command to find out the path /usr/bin/php!

When I type env, I got this:

TERM=xterm
SHELL=/bin/bash
SSH_CLIENT=10.71.54.4 52744 22
SSH_TTY=/dev/pts/0
USER=u62455624
MAIL=/var/mail/u62455624
PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/games:/usr/games
PWD=/kunden/homepages/15/d359926908/htdocs
LANG=C
SHLVL=1
HOME=/kunden/homepages/15/d359926908/htdocs
LOGNAME=u62455624
LC_CTYPE=
SSH_CONNECTION=10.71.54.4 52744 74.208.57.249 22
_=/usr/bin/env

no trace of $PATH or php-cli, but I found the folder /usr/bin/php7.3-cli. I tried the command /usr/bin/php7.3-cli moodle/admin/cli/install.php and the install process complete successfully. I was able to set the password in command line. However, when accessing the site with the browser, I had the same problem. No Design's loading, only some text elements.

by Ken Task -

Where are you hosted and what sort of lease ... if leased?  perfora.net?

Is this 'server' really a workstation we're attempting to use as a server?  games!!!  Really?

What's uname -an say?  What does: free -h say? 

Anyhoo, back to purging caches ... cli using same path to php as install.php in admin/cli/purge_caches.php

In browser, clear cookies/caches ... then TIA ... 'try it again!'

If that doesn't work, get 'nasty' ... manually remove contents ... that's *contents* ... of moodedata/cache moodledata/localcache/ moodledata/sessions/

All of those will rebuild ... ie, re-cache .. as needed.

Uhhh ... now don't be playing Solitaire if you're bored while your students are trying to use the Moodle! ;)   No help in community forums here if you do that!

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Bruno Mercille -
Hi Ken, I know, it's really annoying. My host is IONOS (former 1and1). I'm with them for years now and never got in trouble. My 3 domains and hosted files are there.

uname -an returns: (uiserver):u62455624:~$ uname -an
Linux infongp-us18 4.4.0-ui20007.037-uiabi1-infong-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.4.208-1~ui80+2 (2020-01-07) x86_64 GNU/Linux

free -h returns: (uiserver):u62455624:~$ free -h
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 70G 68G 2.2G 4.8G 235M 47G
-/+ buffers/cache: 21G 49G
Swap: 263M 263M 0B

I also tried to clear all caches memory, but I keep having the same issue. I wiped all Moodle installation files from the server, then reuploaded them again. The database was also purged manually, as were the browsers cache.

Hahaha, don't worry, I'm not a gamer. Juste a teacher who wants the best for his students! Thanks for your help and your patience smile

by Ken Task -

Never seen a hosting provider that set up an image for customers with 'game' directories in a server.   That's why I asked!

Ok, so Debian and memory looks ok - but in a user jail ...

ref: /kunden/homepages/15/d359926908/htdocs - code in here.

Where's moodledata in relation to above?

And what are ownerships/permissions on moodledata ... recursively.  Can the user under which web service run read/write to moodledata?

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Bruno Mercille -
Hi Ken,

The moodledata and moodle folders are at the same point, as they were create automatically:

/kunden/homepages/15/d359926908/htdocs/moodle
/kunden/homepages/15/d359926908/htdocs /moodledata

Not sure about how view permissions, but it seems to be like:

Folder: 777
File: 666

I left all default configurations during installation. If anything seems ok (as Moodle does not seems to be in cause), I'll open a ticket at ionos.com to see what's going on.

by Ken Task -

'user jails'??

htdocs .... does that have any other directories in it?   a public_html/ or cgi-bin/ or images/

If you have wordpresses in same htdocs they have been known to use .htaccess which affect moodle's.

Good ... ticket is a test to see how much support you are gonna get with Moodle issues!

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Bruno Mercille -

Hi Ken,

I sneaked in the /kunden/homepages/ folder and was able to see and BROWSE the subfolders. There are many numbered folders (15 for mine), which contains multiples folders. However, I'm only allowed to enter mine. I got an Access deny on each other folder.

I have 2 wordpress sites in my htdocs folders. Each site is separated in a folder and accessible with a subdomain name. I first installed a wordpress site using the builtin installer from ionos apps (click&build). Then, I installed manually another wordpress site. Both are fully fonctional. The Moodle site I'm trying to setup is the third site in my htdocs.

My tree looks like this:

/kunden/homepages/15/d359926908/htdocs/site1 (main wordpress, accessible with domain name)
/kunden/homepages/15/d359926908/htdocs/site2 (wordpress, accessible with subdomain name)
/kunden/homepages/15/d359926908/htdocs/site3 (moodle, accessible with subdomain name)

Each site folder uses his own .htaccess file. Do you think that with this structure, my wordpress sites could causes some issues to my moodle site?

by Ken Task -

Well, from what you've described, would think each app/domain is completely isolated from others .... .htaccess wise ... web access wise.

Soooo ????

Again ... let's see what kinda support ya get from helpdesk.

'SoS', Ken

by Ken Task -

'sneaked into' ... 'kunden' means customers ... 'homepages' sounds like static web pages created by something they provide ... not something dynamic with PHP and backended DB.   WordPresses, BTW, have build it ability to upgrade and update ... including plugins ... Moodle does not.

All in all am thinking this is some sort of 'shared hosting' package ... which more and more, due to caps and restrictions on shared hosting systems ... makes moodle hosting more difficult ... wants to use more resources of 'shared server' ... cron job recommendation of 1 time every minute as an example ... no can do ... once every 60 minutes is best customer can expect/do and that's not enough for a moodle.

Soooooo ....

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Bruno Mercille -

Hi Ken,

I understand. I will wait for some news and if it is not positive, I'll move my domain to another host.

Thanks for your help!

by Bruno Mercille -

Hi everyone, I finally switched to another host and my Moodle site is up and running. Thanks for your help. It appears that it was the php version of my former host that was effectively too old! I can now start building up my courses. Thanks!