403 Forbidden Server unable to read htaccess file, denying access to be safe

403 Forbidden Server unable to read htaccess file, denying access to be safe

by dante becerra lagos -
Number of replies: 4

Hi,

I haven't been able to find the answer for the error I'm getting for my Moodle Site. I stopped for a while visiting my moodle site and now I wanted to access it. Moodle is installed un a subfolder in my site http://softenglish.cl/moodle/.  The error I'm getting is.

403 Forbidden

You don't have permission to access this resource.Server unable to read htaccess file, denying access to be safe

I have looked into the error logs of my server and I enclose a screenshot of it:

The version of my moodle is 3.4+ (Build: 20171116)

database: Versión del servidor: 10.0.38-MariaDB-cll-lve

Server: Apache/2

Versión de PHP: 7.2.27

My siste is hosted by x10hosting.com

I hope you can give a hand in this. Thanks in advance,

Dante

Attachment error403Forbiden.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to dante becerra lagos

Re: 403 Forbidden Server unable to read htaccess file, denying access to be safe

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Don't host where you host ... don't run a joomla anymore either (does yours need an update?) ... so this is googled info.

Please see:
https://x10hosting.com/community/threads/htaccess-file-missing.194365/
Not exactly your problem but similar which really a web services configuration issue not really a Moodle one.

'SoS', Ken

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Ken Task

Re: 403 Forbidden Server unable to read htaccess file, denying access to be safe

by dante becerra lagos -

Hi Ken,

Thanks for your information. 

Best regards,

In reply to Ken Task

by dante becerra lagos -
Hi Ken and Everyone,

Like you said it was a configuration issue. The moodle folder had the following permisions: 750 and I changed it to 755. And I got the site back. Thanks again I hope this could help someone else.

Best regards
In reply to dante becerra lagos

by Marco Silva -

Hi everybody, in my case i receive the same message, and this is occurring because moodle is performing a minor update, it looks that it changes the rights for .htaccess file so nobody interrupt the update but, for some reason the update do not run automatically, it  needs manual inputs but at the same time nobody can access, because the file is blocked, so i perform the following actions:

1. Access to the server with the FTP tool
  2. identify the path for moodle (in my case is in a subdomain)
  3. with the FTP file manager tool, change the rights form 750 to 755
  4. with this i can access with admin account 
  5. set the required inputs for the update
  6. run the update and review. 

Hope this can help anyone else

Regards.