Just Starting...Help

Just Starting...Help

by Lawrence Barbary -
Number of replies: 9

I would like to use Moodle while my school is closed. I used Moodle in the past, but it was on a district owned server so I did not have to figure out capacity. The district deleted the courses because of security concerns. I have about 200 students and would probably have 50 or so at the same time using lessons, forums, workspaces and chats. I have no idea what platform to use and I have a moodle support request from Monday that has not received a response. I need to come up with something soon. Can anyone help? I am sure this is not how I am supposed to do this but I am in a pinch.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Lawrence Barbary

Re: Just Starting...Help

by Adam Jenkins -
Picture of Plugin developers

For 200 students, you wouldn't need a very powerful server. I'd suggest you use a Digital Ocean droplet (2GB) or a Linode (2GB) for the server. The specs listed in those should be ample for 200 students. 

Cost can be expected to be around $10 per month to run. As well as about $15/year for a domain name.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Lawrence, are you ready to do-it-yourself? Adam's suggestion is right on for a DIY server setup. Pay for the server by credit card and install Moodle. I did it once that way and it took me six hours because I was a complete newbie then. If you need a ready-to-go solution, then Moodle Cloud is best because you can set it up the smaller plan for 200 students. You can also try a Moodle Partner if you need someone to do everything for you. All plans cost more, depending on how much service you need.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Don Hinkelman

by Lawrence Barbary -

I installed Moodle once about 10 years ago. How hard is it.... I certainly have the time. 

by Adam Jenkins -
Picture of Plugin developers

Pretty simple. I can talk you through it when you're ready to go if you'd like. Over a BBB room I mean (tech enabled social distancing FTW!).

In reply to Adam Jenkins

by James Steerpike -
I think to do this you would need to set up quite a bit on a droplet, even starting with a LAMP stack. Is it possible to snapshot your droplet perhaps prior to Moodle install?

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Not that you are getting bad advice ... but ...

HS or JHS or Elem students probably already text one another ... in times like these maybe even their teachers.  If online is the 'new normal' another teacher (not as brave as you) might ask if they could have a class on your moodle. (have seen a moodle for an ISD grow exactly as briefly described).

IF this is the new normal, consider the IRS does give a $400.00 credit for teaching materials ... right?  That's to every teacher.

IF 1 + 2 then you can afford more.

One of the things a teacher can do to 'grow' site usage ... let students have access to a 'chat room' in Moodle.  A single chat room uses up around 430K.  Chat room grabs that if it can and keeps it.  If Elem/JH consider chat rooms for gender and set restrictions to gender.

You could have students who don't have smartphones or no/poor service where they live and thus cannot text their friends.   Even HS students, as 'worldly/tough' as they claim to be could use a friend right about now.

My 2 cents.

'SoS', Ken

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Ken Task

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
It used to amaze me every year, that so many teachers I worked with here is the States did NOT know about the CREDIT the IRS gave each year to teachers. It comes right off the top and you do NOT have to have any receipts! Just make the claim!
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators

> The district deleted the courses because of security concerns.

What a vicious environment! You didn't take a https://docs.moodle.org/en/Course_backup before that?

> I have a moodle support request from Monday that has not received a response.

I see, you are on MoodleCloud: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=399233, a duplicate, BTW. They is a dedicated forum https://moodle.org/mod/forum/view.php?id=8277 for that.