School closures and Coronavirus / COVID-19

School closures and Coronavirus / COVID-19

by Russell England -
Number of replies: 9
Picture of Plugin developers

Not sure how many schools use Moodle but...

If you know any schools or teachers that are using Moodle and need help - then I'm happy to help during this crisis. No charge obviously.

I can offer technical support, admin support or just be a guide on Skype or something similar.

For reference, I have 9 years development experience with Moodle (and Totara) and regularly work with clients with 250,000+ clients. I'm currently on UK time but I'm used to working with people in different timezones.

Feel free to send me a direct message.

Average of ratings: Coolest thing ever! (1)
In reply to Russell England

Re: School closures and Coronavirus / COVID-19

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
For anyone who does not have Russell's skill set, but would like to help out with Moodle from home, if you speak more than one language, consider signing up for a translation account and contribute there. https://lang.moodle.org/
Yesterday, Jelle Pauwels of Belgium, being on lockdown due to Covid-19, signed up and fixed up the missing language strings in MooTyper and Hot Question for Dutch(nl). (Literally, just now got an email noting his MooTyper contributions are now in the Dutch language pack!)
Average of ratings: Coolest thing ever! (3)
In reply to AL Rachels

by Mohammad Nabil -
i can help in arabic
at least one hour/ day
i see that no arabic documentation yet
i will try
Average of ratings: Very cool (2)
In reply to Mohammad Nabil

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Mohammad,

Excellent! I currently have a MooTyper Saudi Arabian keyboard layout under development and will make an Egyptian one my next one to work on. They take me a little longer to develop as I have to make them auto detect and work LTR or RTL depending on what language the user is currently set to use on their computer. Then, since I do not know the language or alphabet, it really takes me a while to test them and verify they work correctly. Am I right to assume that both Egyptian and Saudi Arabian users use the same Moodle عربي ‎(ar)‎ language pack?

Average of ratings: Very cool (3)
In reply to AL Rachels

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Also pointing out, re School closures and Covid 19 - and Moodle - that we are opening up an extra edition of our Learn Moodle Basics MOOC for anyone who urgently need to learn how to teach with Moodle. Please point teachers you know in that direction.
Average of ratings: Coolest thing ever! (3)
In reply to AL Rachels

by Mohammad Nabil -
yes
all arabic countries are the same

by AL Rachels -
Hi Mohammad,
Thanks for the information. I forgot to ask, do they use the same keyboard layout?
In reply to AL Rachels

by Mohammad Nabil -
yes
one keyboard

by AL Rachels -
Thanks. I'm going to just make one, then wait and supply changes, if requested. It does make me wonder why there are 27 different Arabic language preferences listed in Windows 10. I have Saudi Arabia and Egyptian installed, but haven't noticed any differences when trying them in LO Writer.
In reply to AL Rachels

by Mohammad Nabil -
i still do not know why
the differences only in some date and time default