External database enrolment: running scheduled task or script - or let the script create users

External database enrolment: running scheduled task or script - or let the script create users

by Oleg Sychev -
Number of replies: 0
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi, everyone.

Because of the coronavirus, an University's Moodle site (not my own) experiences a great inflow of users. I looked for the ways to quickly create courses and enroll everyone, and settled on External Database plugin for now as an emergency measure (even though, sadly, it doesn't work with groups at all).

We're preparing the database: the expected amount of new students is about 20 000, with 6-10 courses for each.

The University's official installation is Moodle 3.0.10 (sorry, not under my control: they bought some custom plugins to fit local laws and I don't know how they will survive an upgrade)

What is better to choose given these options: let enrollment plugin create courses as students and teachers log in - or run a scheduled task / script ?

Any other potential problems we should know about? I have a few days to prepare everyone for work over the internet because of quarantine measures.

The current focus is creating template courses for everyone and enrolling both students and teachers. Their Moodle accounts were already created.

Average of ratings: -