questions before installing

questions before installing

by I Tuesday -
Number of replies: 21

Hello,

I would like to install moodle on a sub-domain next to a wordpress site (php 7.4.2).

Could you please let me know if that is possible?

Thanks for your help.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to I Tuesday

Re: questions before installing

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Yes - what you can't do is install Moodle in the same directory as Wordpress. Wordpress's rewrite rules will break Moodle. It needs to be in a separate directory/folder. Beyond that it becomes an issue for your host as to how to configure this.
In reply to Howard Miller

by I Tuesday -
Thanks for your reply.
the hosting company wouldn't offer any support. I have to do everything by myself.
What kind of separate folder do I have to set up? What sort of configuration do you mean?
Is php 7.4.2 is compatible with the latest version of moodle? I sther a requirement for the database?
Sorry for all these questions but I can use a sub-domain and install moodle as long as it doesn't mess up the wordpress website.
In reply to I Tuesday

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Oh yes, today is Tuesday. What will you do tomorrow?
sad

Attachment i-tuesday.png
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by I Tuesday -
??? maybe installing moodle, no?
In reply to I Tuesday

Look at it from the view of a helper. Do you want to give advice to somebody who'll give you an absurd name? I don't. I automatically change to the caterpillar mode.
:-)

`Who are you?' said the Caterpillar.

This was not an encouraging opening for a conversation. Alice replied, rather shyly, `I--I hardly know, sir, just at present-- at least I know who I was when I got up this morning, but I think I must have been changed several times since then.'

`What do you mean by that?' said the Caterpillar sternly. `Explain yourself!'

`I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, sir' said Alice, `because I'm not myself, you see.'

`I don't see,' said the Caterpillar.

https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~rgs/alice-V.html

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Be nice wink

But yes, we much prefer real names. It's good to know who we are talking to.

by I Tuesday -
in that case, why waste your time by writing 2 replies to someone who is apparently beneath your notice?
Have a nice day.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by James Steerpike -

In an age where every web visit, photo and post is gathered up. cross indexed and sold, can't you see a valid reason for someone not to reveal their identity on every site they visit?

In reply to James Steerpike

by Howard Miller -
You mean you're not called James? big grin

by James Steerpike -
And you are not really a cat?

by Howard Miller -
Even the cat that has actually been dead for ten years looks better than I do big grin big grin

What are we? [OT]

You mean, let them expose everything private to the BIG and spare the small toe here?
sad

We all have confusions about our identity. I understand now, why even the earliest spiritual leaders started with the question "Who are you?" or in my region it is "What are you"? If that can not be resolved at least build some sort of an identity which "sounds" real. Tuesday is a bad choice. Yes, James Steerpike is much better. ;)

Re: What are we? [OT]

by James Steerpike -
If you like your literary references, two villains. The seducer from David Copperfield. And the unscrupulous kitchen boy from Gormenghast.
In reply to I Tuesday

by Howard Miller -
We don't know because we don't even know what operating system you are using. We don't know what host you are using (if any). We don't know how this subdomain has been set up in DNS.

If you're using Apache then you probably want to read about virtual hosts.

If you're using cPanel or similar then there's probably configuration for all this somewhere.

by James Steerpike -
Maybe start with the end use. How many students will use your Moodle? If less than 50, MoodleCloud is the best option. You might also weigh up your time and frustration against paying for a larger Moodlecloud service.
If that doesn't suit, look at your host. Shared hosting is fine for static web pages and WordPress but you are pushing it with a Moodle install. If you are too big for Moodlecloud consider a VPS.
Don't be put off. Installing Moodle is possible and you are asking the right questions.

by I Tuesday -
@ Howard and James
Thanks for your help. I'll try and find a cheap independent hosting.
In the meantime I'll just use google.
In reply to I Tuesday

by Howard Miller -
Unfortunately all hosting is different and it's really hard to give specific advice without a lot more information.

Please don't be put off asking questions by my grumpy colleague wink

by I Tuesday -
@James & Howard;
Thanks again. I'm looking for a solution for 250 students and 5 or 6 course creators.
I am considering a host with a reasonable price and linux/apache servers.

Also I wish to let you know that I DID consider a different name but Friday and Thursday, my favourites, were already taken. J Foorde and D. Defoe beat me to those great names.

Have a nice day everyone. I'll be back with some other dum questions if the install goes wrong.
In reply to I Tuesday

by Howard Miller -
Have you considered a Moodle Cloud account? For that number of users I don't think it's substantially more expensive than decent hosting.