Importing questions from LXRtest

Importing questions from LXRtest

by Mike Jackson -
Number of replies: 22
I am interested in being able to import questions from LXRtest 5 or 6. LXR has a couple of export formats. Has anyone here tried this?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mike Jackson

Re: Importing questions from LXRtest

by Henrik Kaipe -
What is this LXRtest 5/6 ?

Do you have any links or other material that can enlight me and others?
In reply to Henrik Kaipe

by Mike Jackson -

www.lxrtest.com - it is a fairly comprehensive test banking program. V5 is for mac and windows while v6 is windows only.

In reply to Mike Jackson

by ArVee Gee -
I like the "grade" feature of lxrtest. You can grade a particular question while test is going ( i think this is suitable only in a single question scheme ) on to see if you had answered it correctly or not. Is this already in quiz module?

Appreciate if somebody can answer this... wink
In reply to Mike Jackson

by Neil Langevin -

The import of LXR questions does not seem to be very easy.  The .bnk suffix is propietary for each exam management software.  Not all of my staff are using Moodle but we have switched from LXR, too cumbersome, to ExamView.  An added bonus of ExamView is that they can be imported into my favourite CMS, MOODLE.  The test banks that we had in LXR had been typed in to .doc files during the course of a few years because most staff found LXR way too user unfriendly and now are used in ExamView then to Moodle.

I believe that LXR was used by the western provinces of Canada.

In reply to Neil Langevin

by Mike Jackson -
I missed your reply. You are right that LXR was strongly adopted in Western Canada (I am in BC). I would like to figure out how to get my LXR questions into Moodle without having to retype....
In reply to Mike Jackson

by John Baldassarre -

Hi Michael,

Have you found a solution to this problem? I have discovered how it could be converted from LXR to WebCT format and then into Moodle but it takes some editing which i don't want to really do (I have 12 gigs worth of test bank items).

Any solutions?

John

In reply to Mike Jackson

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Any possibility of attaching an example of the LXR file? Maybe it is the same or similar to something else? Maybe it isn't too hard to do. Let's see!!
In reply to Howard Miller

by Mike Jackson -

I finally decided to get back to this as we have a large number of LXR bank questions.

I am going to attempt to attach a raw LXR sample bank (as a zip file), a pdf of the printout and a "merge format" export file.

OOPS - the files are 115 K and 150 K - I will have to think about how to shring the files to under 100K.

by Mike Jackson -
Here is the raw bank as a zip file
In reply to Mike Jackson

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
The internal bank file seems to be binary, which is probably bad news. I take it the software has no other save (or export) format options?

by Mike Jackson -

Here is the "merge format" export file of the same questions.

In reply to Mike Jackson

by Christopher Rossi -

Not sure if this is helpful or not, but LXR Test actually just uses an MS Access database format. You can directly load the database from within Access. It's not exactly in the most user-friendly format possible (so the Merge output may be your best bet) but it's all there, for the do-it-yourself people.

I'm trying to convert an old LXR Test database to Question Mark Perception at the moment, but if someone figures out a way to get it into Moodle, I'd probably go that route. I just need an easy way to get the data out of LXR Test!! smile

-Chris

In reply to Christopher Rossi

by Doug Baleshta -
I'm also faced with pulling out 1,000's of lxr questions so they can be imported into either Moodle or Respondus. I've had a look in Access and have the Relationships table with all the primary/secondary keys from an LXR file. I'm still trying to see how they tie the correct answer with the distractors. My next step is to create a report that is in a format that can be either read by Respondus, or ultimately, in another format that could be directly imported into Moodle. If anyone else is interested, send me a note.

Thanks
Doug
In reply to Doug Baleshta

by David Smith -
Just wondering if anyone has found a work around to this issue. I have a large LXR database, I need to transfer into Moodle.
In reply to David Smith

by Christopher Blake -

I have a lot of experience with LXRTest and I would suggest doing a Question export to text format and then importing to moodle using the Aiken format. Upload the properly formatted Aiken version of the bank to the server and import from the server side. I realize that this post is 2 years old but if you try it this will work. Aiken format seems pretty finicky though...

In reply to Doug Baleshta

by Mike Jackson -

I'd be interested in hearing how you have exported LXR test questions.

In reply to Mike Jackson

by Yulia I -

Can you provide an example of this format? I've a professional interest - may be it can be implement into my online Moodle XML Converter

In reply to Yulia I

by Mike Jackson -

I posted some examples a while ago in this thread: . I'd be interested to see what can be done.

One is a pdf print out of the questions.

One is a "LXR merge" export

one is the raw LXR data bank (which I think is an Acess database)

In reply to Mike Jackson

by Mike Finney -

Wanted to see if there was a resolution to this issue. Have a project to do this.

In reply to Mike Finney

by Stéphane Boutin -

I wonder if anyone has able to import a question bank LXR Test (v6) to Moodle. If anyone has succeed, please let me know the procedure.

In reply to Mike Jackson

by Jack Roe -

Is there by any chance a way to export the file as a txt file? Could you post it?