Images Across Courses

Images Across Courses

by Tim F -
Number of replies: 4

I am wondering if anyone has any best practices tips regarding using the same images in multiple questions across the moodle site (different courses):

Is it best to upload it on a server outside of moodle and then just always point there ?  It seems like each time I'm in a new activity I don't have access to the same photo I have previously uploaded in a different course.  

Specifically lets say I want to use apple.jpg in a course in Spanish and another parallel course in English - both requiring apple.jpg in a specific moment-best practices to upload location (I want users to be able to download on moblie)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tim F

Re: Images Across Courses

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I seem to recall that if you use the same file name, Moodle will only store one copy.  However, I am not sure if this is true for questions in the question bank.  Maybe Tim or others will know.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Matteo Scaramuccia -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hello Everyone,

I seem to recall that if you use the same file name, Moodle will only store one copy.

Moodle Files API implements de-duplication at file level, based on its content i.e. regardless the name of the file.

HTH,
Matteo

Average of ratings: Useful (5)
In reply to Matteo Scaramuccia

by Tim F -
Matteo so as I understand this that no matter how many times I "insert image" from my computer into a moodle question it will only be stored on the moodle server one time regardless of how I name the file.

I am just trying to be efficient as we are now designing the courses and sometimes we have the same picture linked across a course 5 or 6 times so I am wondering if there is a way to upload it so that when the student "downloads" the course content there is only a download one time. As sometimes these are videos and not just images...

And specifically I am exporting /importing questions from one course to another one and the image locations don't seem to be included-when I import the questions I need to go through one by one and reconnect the media (link to website or upload again)