Multiple Subsite

Multiple Subsite

by Benjamin Bernard -
Number of replies: 8

Does anyone know if you are able to set up subsites from one moodle install?

So I could have somename.website.tld and it has its own courses and all...

then have newname.website.tld and it has its own courses

This way I could update moodle for multiple clients from one install

Thanks!!!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Benjamin Bernard

Re: Multiple Subsite

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
No - you can only have one setting for wwwroot in Moodle, so there's no way to do that.

Visvanath - I think you may have misunderstood (or I did!)

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Howard is right. I missed the part "This way I could update moodle for multiple clients from one install". No, a Moodle instance always servers o_single_ URL, not many.

by Luis de Vasconcelos -
That's called multi-tenancy. Sadly, it's only available in Moodle Workplace or Iomad.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Luis de Vasconcelos

Why "sadly"? Iomad is Free Software and the technology is identical to Moodle - in fact it is a fork of Moodle. Well, not all from first hand experience, but there is somebody around who knows the internals.
wink

There is a small problem though. Each person understands a different thing under multi-tenancy. So better come up with a definition before looking for one.
In reply to Luis de Vasconcelos

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Multi tenancy is indeed a feature of Iomad but I do not believe that different hostnames for different 'companies' is a feature. It was extremely tricky to do as the fixed wwwroot thing permeates Moodle.

Iomad original purpose was for a large training company that offered services to a range of client companies. They wanted each company to have a Moodle completely isolated from each other and have their own custom theme. However, the same course can be provided to multiple companies with each, again, isolated. What it does not do is to give each their own hostname - but this was not a massive consideration. 
In reply to Howard Miller

Here we have a school book example of different meanings of multi-tenancy to different people. For one, it is one (Moodle) instance which serves different URL. Each URL is given to a tenant, an institution for example. For another, is is also a single (Moodle) instance but always at the same URL. Once one signs in he is completely in his own institution (tenant), nothing betrays that there are other institutions.