Duplicate course on same server

Duplicate course on same server

by Sue Glover -
Number of replies: 3
We are using version 1.1.1 and attempting to create a copy of an existing course without users.  Our intention is to have two teachers running identical course content with different users.

The new course should contain all resources, assignments etc.  After reading Eloy's reply to  bub bub's question  (how to backup one course to restore to another - October 2003).   We attempted to backup course A to a course B on the same server.  All attempts ended in an error message "could not restore users" and stopped at checking sections creating users . 

On checking course B the structure was there, the resource icons were present but all without content.  It I tried to edit the resource this message appeared "The required instance of this module doesn't exist"

We have tried restoring to a course that we had created and also restoring to a new course.  Neither method was successful.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sue Glover

Re: Duplicate course on same server

by Przemyslaw Stencel -
I don't know why you are getting this error message at restore time, but maybe creating a backup without user data would help?

Another thought, however - if you can wait a week or two (or maybe three, depending on whether Martin needs more than 2 hrs sleep per nightwink). Moodle 1.2 should be coming out around Christmas and - with the groups feature - it will be ideal for your situation (two teachers running an identical course with different students) - see this document.
In reply to Przemyslaw Stencel

Re: Groups Feature

by Bryn Jones -
I had a look at the specs for the groups feature and it looks great.

Two questions to clarify it for me.

Can I assign a tutor to a group so that they can only see the activity logs and journals of their group.

Can I have, say, 10 groups and each has a tutor that can see their journals and logs but not those of the other 9 groups. And have a forum that is for groups 1 to 5 and another that is for groups 6 to 10 and they can see all posts within their groups.

I'm trying to solve a privacy issue where say 10 schools have groups of teachers in a course and each has a school based co-ordinator who acts as tutor for that group. The school tutor needs to have access to the logs and journals of their own school bbut not the others.

At the same time I have 50 teachers from another school who want to do the same course but have private forums for their school and their own tutors.

Hope that makes sense.

In reply to Bryn Jones

Re: Groups Feature

by Przemyslaw Stencel -
You wrote:  Can I assign a tutor to a group so that they can only see the activity logs and journals of their group.

Quoting from the implementation plan:
  • $SESSION->currentgroup[courseid] defines current group.
    • For students it is fixed at the group they are in within that course (set at login and by visiting group page)
    • For non-editing teachers it is likewise fixed at their own group (set at login and by visiting group page)
    • For teachers and higher, it can be switched between any of the groups in the current course, using "group switch menu" which will be available in different places.
It seems that designers will be able to see all students in all groups, but non-editing teachers will only be able to see their own students. Looks like a solution to your privacy problem. big grin