Backup Sizes

Backup Sizes

by Sean Keogh -
Number of replies: 5
I just thought Eloy and Martin might like to know...and figures like this are always useful if someone wants to know what the system can handle.

The largest course we currently have is the one we use as a document repository so that students can get hold of course materials when they are working on the PCs at home.

It currently contains 272 documents (mostly adobe acrobat files with some Micro$oft word documents). When backed up from within moodle, the zip file is currently 44.2MB in size. The backup takes about 30-40 seconds to run, and I did it during the day when loads of people were on and no one noticed. Working pretty well I'd say.

I restored this course, when it was a little smaller (about 25MB) from the old server to this newer one, and it handled the restore fine as well.

Hurrah for moodle!

And thanks to Martin, Eloy, Will, Ray and all the others that are working so hard for us.

<<Big electronic cheers>>
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sean Keogh

Re: Backup Sizes

by Ger Tielemans -

Well, I was succesfull in restoring an even bigger test-Moodle, but now run out of space when I try to restore a backup of 72+ MB. (Backup itself was succesfull) 
I try to do these crazy things before my users will try it..
(Is this a Moodle problem or just my local administrator, trying to stop me?) 

I now will try to backup/restore it in parts?

In reply to Ger Tielemans

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Ger,

What exactly is happening when you try to restore your course ? How do you know that it runs out of space ? Does it simply stop, or is it something sent to screen ?

Perhaps this will clarify things a bit ?

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=2485#13103

TIA and ciao, Eloy. smile
In reply to Eloy Lafuente (stronk7)

by Ger Tielemans -

It is the room I get from the server(manager?) to do my backup, so not a Moodle problem:

• I did a backup for only the courseparts
  • Then a backup for only the resources
  • setting them back and integrate them on another server seems to work
    (With exception of course of the absolute links inside the old moodle)

The only error I get during other backups is that no user logs are in the backup

In reply to Sean Keogh

by Mark Hilliard -

Sean,

This is Mark Hilliard again, please don't think I'm stalking you ( wide eyes ) I also left you emails about your tutorials on the OXLIP server, but you seem to be working with all the things I need to know right now about Moodle as  new admin/user.

I saw you mention that you backed up a Moodle course from one server and RESTORED it to ANOTHER server.  Is this possible in Moodle 1.1.1 which I am using?  Other posts in the Moodle forums were saying you couldn't do the backup & restore to a second server.

Please let me know if this is possible and if so, how does the RESTORE function find the backup file from the new server? Thanks for any info you can send my way!

Mark Hilliard

Mpls, Mn, USA

In reply to Mark Hilliard

by Sean Keogh -
Hi Mark,

You can backup and restore courses in 1.1.1 no problem.

Backups are created as zip files, so what you do is back up the course, download the zip file to your PC, upload it to the new server (in the general files area if you are creating a new course and not restoring to an existing one) and then restore it.

I've just replied to you regarding my Using moodle course.  It is now in the course exchange here on moodle.org, but is not much more advanced than it was last time I worked on it, as I simply haven't had the spare time.  Please feel free to use whatever bits you can.

Oxford Beardie