Moodle to Moodle LTI with Boost Theme doesn't detect "embedded" and sends headers, blocks etc

Moodle to Moodle LTI with Boost Theme doesn't detect "embedded" and sends headers, blocks etc

by Brian Merritt -
Number of replies: 9
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Does anyone have a working LTI connect based upon the Boost theme (or a child of Boost) ?

At the moment the LTI provider appears to ignore the consumer "embed" or "embed without blocks" setting and provides a full page.

How should Moodle (3.7) know it is embedded and present the correct embedded layout in Boost?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Brian Merritt

Re: Moodle to Moodle LTI with Boost Theme doesn't detect "embedded" and sends headers, blocks etc

by Brian Merritt -
It doesn't seem to be theme related. I am guessing some extra parameters are need to say "use embed format" even though I selected embed in the consumer.

Re: Moodle to Moodle LTI with Boost Theme doesn't detect "embedded" and sends headers, blocks etc

by Daniel Thies -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Brian,

Are you trying to embed a course or activity on a Moodle provider. The setting in the external tool configuration on the consumer only affects blocks the consumer system might add not the ones on the provider. If you want to remove blocks added by the provider that should be configured on the provider system with the correct layout or theme there.
In reply to Daniel Thies

by Brian Merritt -

Hi Daniel

The provider is a different Moodle 3.7 server that I control.

However, when trying to configure the provider to go into "embed" mode, I keep getting the full menus and navigation duplicated - one from the provider and one on the consumer.

I have hacked core Moodle lti to always present embedded, but any help in doing this in the provider settings would be appreciated.  I am sure I am just missing something.

I don't see anything in the provider settings that says how to present a course.  Just which tool to publish (course), secret code, and syncronisation settings.

by Brian Merritt -
OK, newbie error (I haven't done LTI before)

On the consumer site, I had to set custom paramenter "force_embed = 1"

by Daniel Thies -
I think that setting changes the default for the external tool configuration form. Again if the is on the consumer, this may not have anything to do with the blocks you are seeing if they are added by the provider. They would need to be removed by the provided site. A Moodle LTI provider by default uses a embedded format when individual activity is shared, but not when a course is.
In reply to Daniel Thies

by Brian Merritt -
Thanks Daniel

What would be nice is if the embedded format for a course was available as an option on Moodle LTI provider.

Ah well, I can get the consumer to request the course to be in embedded format, so that will do for now :D

by Daniel Thies -
Brian,

That setting does not "request" anything of the provider. It just causes embedded layout to be used on the consumer. You can change the theme on the provider to use an embedded layout for the course, but that is a configuration question for the provider site.

by Daniel Thies -
Actually, I stated that incorrectly earlier. The embed setting actually adds the blocks on the consumer site. It is essentially saying that you believe the provider has an embedded layout so it is okay to embed it within a full page layout. Setting this to something else open the provider in a page by itself.
In reply to Daniel Thies

by Brian Merritt -
Cool and thanks for your help Daniel

As we are trying to publish central static content on a core Moodle server (moodle.kent.ac.uk/core) to each Moodle academic year (moodle.kent.ac.uk/2020) the overhead of LTI proves to be unnecessary.

Each course on "core" can be shared on "2020" as an iFrame, and I just need to adjust the theme and request to embed the content. That saves creating new users etc as well.

if the domain was different this wouldn't work but for same domain sso is supported fine.