disable internet download manager

disable internet download manager

by Habib Hosseini -
Number of replies: 7

Please guide me
Our company produces training videos for corporate executives. We put these films in the Moodle system. The problem is that anyone with Download manager can download these videos and all our efforts are wasted. Is there any code to disable download by download manager ?

We spend a lot of money on making these films and downloading them is a huge loss to our company please help me .

(Edited by Howard Miller to remove signature - original submission Saturday, 11 January 2020, 4:18 PM)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Habib Hosseini

Re: disable internet download manager

by Mohammad Nabil -
i asked for this issue not only here ,also in stackoverflow.com , the final answer : you can not completely prevent this , but you can make it hard to download so that most users can not download it with a simple click
first option is disable the right click on the mediaplayer (but still can use a firefox or chrome plugin to get the video downloading url)
2nd option is use h5p interactive video and limit use to mobile app , and give your users a branded mobile that open directly your site ( this is hard enough for most users ,the trick they can use to bypass this protection nedd some experince with moodle LMS )
3rd optionis host on video protection site (i did not try any , and can not grant if it is effective)

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
No. And it's nothing to do with Moodle. It's the way the internet works. If your videos are valuable to somebody then they will find away to download them *whatever* you do. After all, these browser extensions generally exist to get round about what you are trying to do.

I would go further - and you can take this or leave it as you wish - if your business model is dependent on these training videos not being downloaded (i.e. there is no other added value) then maybe it's not the best business model.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Howard Miller

by Habib Hosseini -
I upload these videos as Scorm via Ispring software with HTML code on site
As soon as the user clicks on the movie playback link, the IDM software automatically starts downloading the movie
Interestingly, users who are not even familiar with downloading these videos also download them
We hired staff to make these films. We bought video equipment and equipped a large studio
The user downloads this movie by purchasing an account and giving it to all his staff and friends

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I see your issue... but have you seen YouTube recently? Thousands, of useful, very well produced videos... for free. Where are these people making their money?

Again, it is non of my business but I can see no way that selling instructional videos can be sustainable on its own. Forget about trying to stop people downloading your videos - that way lies madness. As an aside, this is why I enjoy open source software development so much. You know you are just going to give it away and stop worrying. It doesn't stop you being the expert in your area wink

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Moodle just serves.  What you have created with iSpring probably needs protections built into it.

Please see:

https://www.ispringsolutions.com/articles/content-protection-in-ispring-cloud-setting-up-password-and-adjusting-download-settings

You have no copyright notice - to which a viewer would be forced to at least the page that describes? ... even if user doesn't really read it ... just accepts.  How about roll credits in the videos?

Many years ago, when first learning how to build a LAMP stack server for Moodle and other open sourced software (not designed really to be 'closed') I found a web page written that described the entire process acurately.  Not desiring to rely on bookmarks or other means of referencing the resource, I 'webwhacked' the page ... downloaded the whole thing ... including images author had used.   Then stuck that webwhacked page+images on a server of my own.  BTW, there was no copyright notice on the page at all.

But the author wanted to know ... so what the author did ... some of the images on the page were full url images ... so my 'webwhacked' page was actually going back to his server images to acquire the images.

I heard from the author via EMail one day about that ... he said he didn't mind but asked if I would to add a link/reference to the original work.  Fair enough ... credit where credit is due.

Might be worth your time to investigate copyright law from users nations - might even provide various links in your copyright notice to those sites along with a warning that violators would be pursued.   Good luck with any legal proceedings internationally, BTW.

Just sharing 2 cent thoughts ... best of luck!

'SoS', Ken

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Ken Task

by Hesson Field -

Its really hurting when such situations come you need to careful for getting disable codes also.