External Database Enrollment

External Database Enrollment

by James Bromley -
Number of replies: 1

Ok, this is most likely documented somewhere, but I could not find it so I am sorry if this is a repeat.

External Database Enrollment looks fairly straight forward however I am left with a few questions before I implement it. I will have a table with moodle user ID and OUR course ID students will have 8 courses each so currently userid is samaccountname from active directory and my course id's look like 008096-01. Will the import handle the concept of the table having the user record in it more than once with different course numbers like:

user1 008096-01

user1 006412-02

Also how does moodle handle if the user does not yet exist? What if the course does not yet exist? I was thinking the external database would contain all student enrolment but not all teachers use moodle, (unless something is not working all students should have an account in AD) I was going to map the course short name to the course id field in the database. What I hope to happen is as teachers start using moodle if the put the course ID in correctly then students will "auto enroll" as they login...

Hopefully this all makes sense, there are basically 3 questions: Can the external database contain more than one record per student? What happens when a student does not exist in authentication but does exist in enrollment? What happens when a course does not exist in moodle that does exist in enrollment?

Thank you in advance,

James Bromley

Leavenworth Public Schools

Average of ratings: -
In reply to James Bromley

Re: External Database Enrollment

by Iñaki Arenaza -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Will the import handle the concept of the table having the user record in it more than once with different course numbers

Sure, no problem at all. This is normal behaviour, a student being enrolled in more than one course at the same time smile

Also how does moodle handle if the user does not yet exist? What if the course does not yet exist?

They are logged as non-existant users/courses, but are otherwise simply ignored.

there are basically 3 questions: Can the external database contain more than one record per student? What happens when a student does not exist in authentication but does exist in enrollment? What happens when a course does not exist in moodle that does exist in enrollment?

The answer to those 3 questions is: everything works as expected wink

Saludos. Iñaki.