Questions on storing answers and activity completion

Questions on storing answers and activity completion

by Kerry Watt -
Number of replies: 3

Hi

I'm using Moodle 3.5.9 at present and have a few questions on H5P which I was hoping there may be more up to date answers on.

Is it possible for answers to activities to be retained for participants to review later, for example on the drag and drop? I've read this isn't possible for essays (which is fine as we can use an alternative like the standard Quiz), but hoped that it would work for quiz type activities like drag and drop or simple choice (for example) or that administration might be able to view the attempts made by participants on the interactive content. 

Allowing the participants to review their attempts and answers later, after having navigated away, is an important consideration as well, especially as the completion status updates if they complete the activity again later and don't achieve the completion criteria if it is achieving a passing grade so needing to recomplete to get the answers again is not the ideal solution (nor is providing the answers separately for review). Can content be set to one attempt only?

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Kerry Watt

Re: Questions on storing answers and activity completion

by Stuart Mealor -
Hi Kerry
It's worth bearing in mind that H5P is an external system, not part of Moodle.
As you are using Moodle 3.5.9 you must be using the H5P Moodle plugin, or embedding directly from H5P.com (I would guess the former?)
If you use H5P.com, then there is a level of tracking and reporting implemented, which is part of the H5P SaaS service, but that isn't available in the Moodle plugin.
Also, as you probably know, Moodle 3.8 has implemented a 'first stage' of a basic H5P integration within Moodle core.
The plans for the future are to improve the integration smile
All that said, H5P still remains a separate entity.
So, if you think of creating a SCORM object for example, and adding that to Moodle, you would expect the final grade to be passed to the Moodle Gradebook.
And the SCORM object itself would have tracking data within.
However, SCORM, unlike H5P, is a mature standard that has been developed over many years to provide this type of data transfer - between the SCORM object, and the LMS.
H5P doesn't have this.
So although completion tracking in Moodle, of a required score in the H5P content type is possible, the H5P object is not passing data to the Moodle system, in the same way that a native Moodle Quiz is able to do.
But who knows what the future holds?!
Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Stuart Mealor

by Melanie Scott -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Stuart,
That is a very interesting (and helpful) description of the big thing I've been unhappy about with H5P. I really hope someone (who has skills far superior to mine) tackles this because it would make H5P so much more useful to me...
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Stuart Mealor

by Kerry Watt -
Hi Stuart

This is really helpful and answers my questions perfectly, thanks! I am using the plugin yes, and am aware of the integration that's ongoing which is quite exciting to keep an eye on. It's one of the reasons I've been keen to look into using H5P as a tool.

I'll keep an eye out for anything upcoming, for the moment anything we need tracked I'll do using alternative methods.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)