Blocked SCORM Exit Postbacks with Google Chrome 80 and Above

Blocked SCORM Exit Postbacks with Google Chrome 80 and Above

by Mahtab Hussain -
Number of replies: 7

Dear community,

Google Chrome has released version 78. This version has blocked SCORM Exit Postbacks due to which completion will not be reported back to LMS.

Details are available at the link below:

https://support.scorm.com/hc/en-us/articles/360035814314-Blocked-SCORM-Exit-Postbacks-with-Google-Chrome-78-and-Above

Will this affect SCORM functionality in Moodle? If yes, what are plans to deal with this issue and is there any quick solution available?

Warm regards,

Mahtab Hussain

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mahtab Hussain

Re: Blocked SCORM Exit Postbacks with Google Chrome 80 and Above

by Mahtab Hussain -

Hi everyone,

I am wondering if there is someone who has something to say in this matter.

Regards,

Mahtab Hussain

by Melanie Scott -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

What I had to say about this is unpostable and uncomplimentary towards Google.

That said, I talked to the IT staff who know what all this means and they had some thoughts about publishing with a button that reports data on select instead of reporting automatically on close. This is easy if you use something with super granular control, like Lectora, but harder with Captivate. I was looking at Captivate settings and I'm not sure what triggers completion on it --there is a send tracking detail at end setting but I don't use that one.

In reply to Melanie Scott

by Mahtab Hussain -
Thanks Melanie for putting time to respond. The idea of putting a button is good.
BTW, I would like to first know if this actually affects Moodle. We develop our SCORM content using Articulate Storyline. I tried to check completion tracking of SCORM content in one of our Moodle sites on latest Chrome browser version 79. It works just fine and does report the tracking and completion.
So, first thing of interest is that whether we actually need to do something OR Moodle is not affected by this change?

Regards,
Mahtab

by Mathew Gancarz -
Picture of Core developers
So far in my testing, I think Moodle might not actually be affected? I used Chrome Dev channel (https://www.chromium.org/getting-involved/dev-channel) and used Version 81.0.4021.2 (Official Build) dev (64-bit) of Chrome to test this on our Moodle site, version 3.5.9, Build 20191122.

I turned on SCORM API debugging and entered SCORM modules we have created both with Lectora and Storyline that open both within the window and in a new window. I then went a few screens into the module and closed the scorm window or navigated away by copying/pasting a new URL in the bar. In my testing, it looked like the progress data was written properly back to Moodle and when I went back to the modules, they resumed where I had left of.

If we're lucky, we might not have to do anything? I didn't play around with the flag in it, so it's possible it is still disabled by default in 81 and we just have an issue later on.

Melanie Scott - are you able to create the potential issue in your environment?
In reply to Mathew Gancarz

by Mahtab Hussain -

Thanks Mathew for sharing your experience. It is a little relaxing to know that things are working fine for now. As I mentioned earlier, I, myself could not find an issue so far.

Let's see if some of Moodle HQ people come up to comment on the issue as they can confirm if it will be an issue or not.

Regards,

Mahtab

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Mahtab - yes, there are going to be some issues with Chrome 80 - with SCORM and with cookies... there is an incoming patch being that is going through the process here that will fix the issues:
https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-67175

hopefully it will get integrated before chrome 80 is released!
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Dan Marsden

by Mahtab Hussain -

Thanks Dan,

Your post is really helpful and I can see we have a patch applied in stable releases.

Warm regards,

Mahtab Hussain