Debian 8 to 9 Migration

Debian 8 to 9 Migration

by Ben Kelp -
Number of replies: 3

Hi,

I was just wondering if there was an accepted method / process of migrating Moodle 3.2.1 from a Debian 8 server to Debian 9? I will need to migrate from MySQL to MariaDB as well. We have modifications in our Moodle PHP file also and various plugins and a theme too. Could someone point me to a document which describes the process?

Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ben Kelp

Re: Debian 8 to 9 Migration

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Do you mean different servers entirely (as opposed to upgrading Debian in place?). You really only need the Moodle_migration documentation. There shouldn't be any specific issues regarding the different versions of Debian but make sure the 'standard' version of PHP is compatible with Moodle 3.2. MySQL and MariaDB are the same for all practical purposes. You can dump the database on MySQL and re-load it on MariaDB without issue. Moodle is compatible with both but, again, just double-check the versions.

I should also point out that Moodle 3.2 has been completely unsupported for getting on for 2 years. I would *strongly* advise you to upgrade. However, unless you are confident, I would migrate and then upgrade (or upgrade then migrate) in two steps.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Howard Miller

by Ben Kelp -
Thanks for the reply. Yep, the version being vastly outdated is another issue I wished to tackle smile Was planning to do that after the migration. So yes, it would be to an entirely new server. Both are VMs. Anyway, thanks for the pointer. I'll check out the Moodle_migration documentation.
In reply to Ben Kelp

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
The upgrade instructions are here https://docs.moodle.org/38/en/Upgrading (replace /38/ with your target version). The good news is that Moodle release 3.2 can be upgraded in one step even to 3.8. But you have to watch for the PHP compatibility. See PHP and DBMS compatibility of major Moodle releases. You might want to consider release 3.5 (LTS) as a safe stepping stone.