Course Relative Dates

Course Relative Dates

by Rob Frank -
Number of replies: 9

I noticed in the 3.8 notes the experimental relative dates. To better understand, can this be used for courses with rolling enrollments, where students can enroll anytime and have the assignment due dates or other triggers based on their start date?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Rob Frank

Re: Course Relative Dates in 3.8

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Rob,

Yes, if course relative dates mode is enabled, assignment due dates will be displayed relative to the student's enrolment date in the course.

In Moodle 3.8, course relative dates is implemented in the assignment activity and weekly course format only, hence it is classed as an 'experimental' feature. Please see the documentation Course relative dates for more details.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Helen Foster

by John Pin -
I have enabled Relative Dates in the admin, and rebuilt my 6 week course in weekly format. I was of the understanding that a student could then enrol and have a course start date set, then each weeks segment which contains 'books and lessons' only, would have its restricted access dates adjusted to each individual students course start date. Thus, any number of students could be at various weeks within the course at any one time, each at various weeks and each with different restricted access dates set.
But i fear this is not the case! The documentation on this is not so explanatory. Atleast for me it isn't. Any thoughts?
In reply to John Pin

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
In this initial release, I believe that relative dates is restricted to assignments (and maybe quizzes..)
In reply to Emma Richardson

by John Pin -
Thank you Emma for your reply. You have pulled me back to reality!
In reply to John Pin

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

The documentation Course relative dates is brief because the feature has not yet been implemented in many areas. wink I have added a little more detail to hopefully make things clearer. It is not yet implemented for quizzes.

In reply to Helen Foster

by Olaf Nöhring -

Hi Helen,

thank you for the link to the docs.

Is the feature still in development or has it been abandoned? Relative Dates would be really usefull. Thumbs up from me.

I am a teacher in higher education and would like to set due dates relative to the startdate of my course. As this will repeat every year, relative dates would make updating the course for me (and navigation for students) much easier.

Olaf

In reply to Olaf Nöhring

by Helen Foster -

Hi Olaf,

I just commented in MDL-66044 asking for an update on whether there are any plans to implement course relative dates in other activities. Please vote for the issue to indicate that you would like it to be done!

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Helen Foster

by Chi Lam FUNG -
Just have a question on the "section name" on the Relative Date mode.
I guess, the relative date mode a variety which based on weekly mode and the section name will be the date of that week, if i also want to add a name for that section, can we displayed the date of the relative week and the assigned section name at the same time ?

thanks
In reply to Chi Lam FUNG

by Olaf Nöhring -

Hi,

for my installation it looks like this:

I am using a topic based course layout (I am using a different theme which can fold the topics as seen here). 

Basically it says: Not available, except 9 weeks after course start (12. October 2020, 00:00).

I am "displaying" the relative date in the topic by hand: UW 12-14 means this is the topic for week 12 to 14 of the course.

The week based format is not usefull for me, as I am using Moodle for school and UW stands for "actual school week" and thus vacation times are not shown in the course. I simply count the school year in weeks which is 40 per school year.

Maybe this helps.

Olaf