Question bank - categories vs tags

Question bank - categories vs tags

by Beatriz Rojo -
Number of replies: 7

Dear Moodlers,

can you give me use cases of using tags? I have been using categories to organize my questions pool and I cannot understand how/whether adding tags will help me work more efficiently.

Thanks!

Beatriz

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Beatriz Rojo

Re: Question bank - categories vs tags

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
If categories work for you, then there is no reason to change.

The option to use tags as well makes it possible to do some other things that were not previously possible.
Average of ratings: Useful (5)
In reply to Tim Hunt

Re: Question bank - categories vs tags

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
A question can have multiple tags but can only be in one category, is a reason to use tags. The attachment is from some of the questions that ships with my gapfill question type that illustrates the way Moodle 3.8 displays tags (it shows the first few tags which is very useful, especially when checking for questions that don't have tags)

Attachment tags.png
Average of ratings: Useful (4)
In reply to Marcus Green

Re: Re: Question bank - categories vs tags

by Joost Elshoff -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Using tags as well as categories will help you create really detailed subsets of question items within your question bank, so the organisation of question items as a whole benefits. It is, however, quite an investment in time to add the metadata tags if you have a lot of questions.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Joost Elshoff

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
'It is, however, quite an investment in time to add the metadata tags if you have a lot of questions.'
A bulk tagging utility/feature would be nice.
In reply to Marcus Green

by Beatriz Rojo -
Thanks Marcus and Joost for your suggestions, now I have more information to decide if I want to use tags or not.
In reply to Beatriz Rojo

by AL Rachels -
This is another one of those situations where a "good and reliable" student comes in handy. Have them do the tags for you. Doesn't hurt to also remind them, Moodle logs just about everything, so you will know who to blame for inappropriate tags.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to AL Rachels

by Matthias Giger -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
I use tags in combination with StudentQuiz because it allows me to quickly browse through student generated questions.