Quiz doesn't open

Quiz doesn't open

by Angela Crouch -
Number of replies: 16
I installed my Moodle today and seem to have everything set up okay.  I created a test quiz to see how it would look and a test user to take the quiz.  Whenever I go in as my test user and click on the quiz, it mentions that this is a timed quiz and asks if I'm sure I want to take it.  I click ok, then it opens a new window that displays the login screen.  I thought that was weird at first so I logged in again, selected the course, selected the quiz, hit okay on the time limit question and again, another login screen.  I can't see the quiz as a user but I can see it under "preview" as the instructor.  What's going on?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Angela Crouch

Re: Quiz doesn't open

by Gustav W Delius -
There does seem something wrong with the session handling in your browser. I assume you installed the stable release? You haven't enabled the new cookieless sessions mechanism in Moodle 1.6 or have you?

Is the phenomenon browser specific? Or does it happen in several different browsers? Is it happening only on your own computer or also on other computers?
In reply to Gustav W Delius

by Angela Crouch -
I figured out what was going on with the directory listing, I had to include index.php as a startup page in my control panel. 

This version of Moodle I have is 1.5.3 I think, the latest stable version.  I created the quiz yesterday on my computer, was able to view it but not take it.  Then I went to another computer and got a page could not be displayed.  I've never had this happen and this is the third time I've installed Moodle.  Any idea what I can do to fix it?

by Dave Ray -

Angela,  Just an idea. Have you made sure of the
quiz availability.  Check link below

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=37954&parent=174890

Dave

In reply to Dave Ray

by Angela Crouch -
Yes, I opened the quiz yesterday and it's open until the 17th.  

by Angela Crouch -
I don't understand what's going on, please help.

I'm at work now and when I test the quiz, I get the login page.  When I go to a fellow employees computer, I get a "page could not be displayed" error.  I logged into the site last night from home and brought up the quiz fine. 

We do have filters here at work that prevent us from accessing webmail or adult content.  Could this be having an effect on it? 

I need help asap please!

by Angela Crouch -
Found something new.  When I try to take the quiz in Internet Explorer, I get a page cannot be displayed.  When I try it in Firefox, I get a login screen.

by Gustav W Delius -
I am afraid I do not know what is going on but I thought I would post anyway. The fact that no other Moodler has replied yet seems to indicate that this is a rather rare thing. So I guess your workplace must be using a setup that handles popup windows in an unusual way. You could ask them if they can think of an explanation.

From the fact that you report that the quiz opens a new window I deduce that you have chosen to use the "Secure" window option for your quiz. Can you try turning that off?

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Periodically I have a student that will tell me that they are not able to view a quiz. I usually ask them to ensure that javascript is enabled on the browser but I have not been able to troubleshoot what is really happening. I do use the secure window and turning it off has allowed these students to view the quiz. I have not experienced problems with Firefox and recommend my students to use it for Moodle. I would be interested if anyone else has experienced similar behavior and any workarounds/solutions.
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Gustav W Delius -
I wonder if this might be the same as what was reported in bug 4129

by Steve Menear -

As the author of the bug report, I agree that it appears to be the same phenomenon. We had to ask the student concerned to delete cookies before taking a quiz; this seemed to solve the problem temporarily. It would be interesting to learn whether this approach solves Angela's problem too.

In reply to Steve Menear

by Angela Crouch -
Update:  I tried clearing the cookies and cache in Firefox.  I still get a login page after clicking to take the test.

I changed the test from secure window to unsecure and I'm now able to view the test but we wanted the test in a secure window.  We had an issue with people printing out the test and sharing them.  We've tried to reduce this possibility by selecting a certain amount of questions from a test bank, randomizing the questions, randomizing the answers and opening in a secure window. 

Please help!!  I really need for this to open in a secure window.  Thank you!

by Thomas Haynes -
Angela...

I have students with popups blocked that can't get the secure windows to open.

Have them hold down the ctrl key while clicking the "take quiz." This always works for me in FF.

Good luck... Tom
In reply to Thomas Haynes

by Angela Crouch -
I tried holding down the control key (while logged in as a student) and it still opened in a seperate window with the login page. 

I don't understand why it's doing this.  Is it something with the systems at work that preventing this? 

As far as I know, there are no built in pop-up blockers here.

by Thomas Haynes -
Angela...

I am scratching my head. This is pretty strange, and I don't know what to suggest next.

You say it works from home. Are you using the same laptop at home and at work? This may be something specific to your LAN, although I don't know what.

Sorry...   Tom
In reply to Thomas Haynes

by Gustav W Delius -
I don't think it has anything to do with it but we have to clutch at straws here: have you tried turning "secureforms" off in your Moodle configuration settings?

by Angela Crouch -
I think there is an issue with filters on our LAN at work.  I spoke with the IT team from corporate and they believe that there is something on the page that is getting caught on the filters and stopping the quiz from being opened in another window.

Thanks for all of your help!