HELP! Urgent! - dashboard and startpage down!

HELP! Urgent! - dashboard and startpage down!

by Stefan Schoch -
Number of replies: 11
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Hi there,

after installing intelliboard plugin, suddenly neither the dashboard nor the startpage are accessible.

Only thing I see is an input field with the text 'Upgrade key required'. The link is https://integraleimpulse.de/admin/index.php

https://nimb.ws/x0qHJ1

All other pages (when accessed directly i.e. via https://integraleimpulse.de/course/index.php

What's wrong and how can I fix that?

Stefan

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Stefan Schoch

Re: HELP! Urgent! - dashboard and startpage down!

by Stefan Schoch -
I helped myself by restoring a full backup of the website.
Unfortunately that was 2 days old, so that part of the current course-data was overwritten.
The course-backup I created this afternoon I suspect was overwritten too because I forgot to download the file. Where are these backups stored?

by Ken Task -

Probably not over written because backup file names (if left for defauts) include a date/time stamp in the filename itself.   So you might be in luck!

Go into troubled course in edit mode.  Pretend ... that's PRETEND (pardon my shouting) to restore the course.

When viewing that page, if course backups are present, you'll see them there and can download.  Cancel the pretend restore. smile

Try above first ... other wise ... the last resort method involves query of DB for filenames (mdl_files table) that end with .mbz extension to acquire the contenthash value.

Then command line find of moodledata/filedir/ for a file by the name of that contenthash.

Then copying ... note that's copying ... the found contenthash named file in moodledata/filedir/xx/yy/contenthashnamed file to an area outside of Moodle and moodle data while also renaming the contenthashed name file to something Moodle restore would recognize as a valid backup file ... something like 'mybackup.mbz'.

'SoS', Ken

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Ken Task

by Stefan Schoch -
Hey Ken,

thanks a thousand (and more) times for your detailed answer! 🙏

Before I try (and I'm not sure I will be able to perform all steps above) the procedure you mentioned:
Yes, when restoring the webspace, I believe ALL files (and directory structure) are overwritten with the backup. So any backup file that was created AFTER the backup will be lost forever. I will check that out with my provider, if the restore keeps files that were added after the backup. If I get you right, the whole above procedure will work only under this condition.

Stefan

by Ken Task -

Ok, understood now ... 'my bad' .... but ... yet more more hope ... depends upon hoster.  Many offer a site backup service or just do it for catastrophic failure of systems/servers.   Check with hosting provider to see.

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Stefan Schoch -
I clarified with my hoster: the backup fiel IS gone. Up and away into the data nirwana.... traurig

So thank you again for your effort, but this time it doesn't help any more...

by Ken Task -

Ouch! :|

Doesn't help right now ... but in future ... consider your own methods of remote backups.   Some hosting providers allow the attachment of a data disk ... can mount and archive all of your moodle as well as course backups - via cron job rsync's.

Data disk can be detached from server ... and re-attached to another server on same providers network.

Your provider have anything like that ... might worth the extra $ in cost.

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by James Steerpike -
An option that works for me is to automatically back up courses to a folder as a mbz file and then upload them to Dropbox. Just today I lost access to my server for several hours and it was reassuring I had off-site backups and database dumps for the last 3 days created by a cron task. Since the first 2gB of storage in Dropbox is free,  don't need to pay extra for that peace of mind,

by Justin Hunt -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Its too late now, I know. But I think in a situation like yours Intelliboard would help. In future it would be worth contacting them I think
In reply to Justin Hunt

by Stefan Schoch -
Thanks for the answers!!

Does anyone know what this message 'Upgrade key required' means and where it came from?
The link was https://integraleimpulse.de/admin/index.php

https://nimb.ws/x0qHJ1

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Stefan Schoch -
Now I remember. It was ME who set this password in the config.php.

I'm getting old... zwinkernd