Exclude a group from activity

Exclude a group from activity

by Whitney Lowe -
Number of replies: 6

I have several activities that I need to restrict to specific groups. I know how to restrict an activity to a particular group. 

However, I have other activities that I want to be available to all groups except one. Is it possible when you have a large number of groups to restrict an activity to all groups except one? Meaning everyone will be able to see it except the people in this one particular group. 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Whitney Lowe

Re: Exclude a group from activity

by Lucien Stals -
Hi Whitney,

Restrictions can be aplied as either a "Must" or "Must not" condition.
For what you are asking, you should be able to say:
"Student Must Not match the following group..."

must not
In reply to Lucien Stals

by Whitney Lowe -

Seems obvious, but somehow I missed that. 

Thanks!

In reply to Whitney Lowe

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Yep, not always obvious. But Moodle's groups are very powerful, as you are seeing.
In reply to Rick Jerz

by E Martin -
Does anyone know if this differential access of assignments based on groups gets propagated to the gradebook?

Ex: people in group A must do an worth 20 points, while people in group B have no assignments at all. In which case, when generating grade reports for those in group B, you should see no such assignment mentioned at all, because from their perspective it doesn't exist? So, "Conditional gradebooks"

I know this isn't directly related to the poster's original question, but when I read the answers here, that question came to my mind... thanks smile
In reply to E Martin

by Randy Thornton -
Picture of Documentation writers
That sure would be nice, wouldn't it! But neither grade items nor grade categories are group aware in that way.

Now, for grading, if you have two Assignments A and B assigned to different Groups A and B, then the grade for users for the assignments they can't do will be empty. So, if you have set an item or category to "Exclude empty grades", then those are excluded from the math. So you may need to manage those empty grades in some way to make the math come out as you want in your example situation.

Further, for visibility, if you have the access restriction set so that the Assignment is visible to all groups in the course, even if they can't do it, then that Assignment will show up greyed out in the Grades view for those other group students, but will of course have no grade and be empty.

If you have the access restriction set so that the Assignment is only visible in the course to the Group it is restricted to, then students in other groups will not see any entry in the course nor in their view of the Grades.

So that visibility behavior is consistent or what I would expect. However, even though it is not visible, that empty grade does still exist, and doesn't change the math going on due to the empty grade.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)