Personal Frontpage

Personal Frontpage

by Hugo Boel -
Number of replies: 7

Hi there,

Does anyone know if there is a way to personalize the frontpage a little bit more e.g. by showing a welcome message like "Welcome Adrian" (Welcome [firstname] ?)

Any help is much appreciated!

Hugo

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Hugo Boel

Re: Personal Frontpage

by Joost Elshoff -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Hi Hugo,

Do you mean Site home or Dashboard? There are a lot of blocks you can use to enhance the user experience on the personal dashboard page. Also, you could try doing a local modification of the language strings for the dashboard page, to get to the result you're looking for.

You could also consider developing a block to handle the specific thing you wish to add to the Dashboard page, or contact a Moodle Partner near you for advice on this.

Good luck!
In reply to Joost Elshoff

by Hugo Boel -
Thx Joost. I meant the Site home. I'm familiar with a lot of customization possibilities. I haven't heard or found anything about the specific question yet. I know it is possible in a lot of ohter systems/platforms to work with mergefields, Outlook for example. Unfortunately I can't find anything like that in Moodle.
In reply to Hugo Boel

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Hugo,

Very easy to do with the Generico filter and a username widget. I generally put one in a section name on the front page like in the included pictures.

And here is the edit for the above.

In reply to AL Rachels

by Hugo Boel -

Hi,

This put me on the right track. Got it solved now!

Thanks Al

Hugo

In reply to Hugo Boel

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
To help other users who might find it informative, what method did you use to solve and get what you wanted?
In reply to AL Rachels

by Hugo Boel -

From your message I understood that you had accomplished this with a Generico filter, but I did really get what you meant with 'username widget'. So what I did was this.  I Installed the Generico filter (https://moodle.org/plugins/filter_generico) and activied it. After that I watched h a couple of youtube video's to find out exactly how it worked.

was particularly helpfull (in dutch though).

This resulted in setting up a Generico template that looked like this:

After that I filled in the following code in a specific (text) section: Welkom {GENERICO:type="Voornaam"}. So the key 'Voornaam' (firstname in dutch) redirects to the 'body of the template', which says 'show the firstname of the user'. This gave me the desired result.