Competencies Linked to Multiple Courses

Competencies Linked to Multiple Courses

by Aaron Tuomala -
Number of replies: 5

I am new to Moodle and am having trouble grasping competencies and learning plans in terms of making sure that students pass the required courses in order to achieve a competency.

I have a competency framework called 'Account Management' and within that framework, I have a competency called 'Quoting'.   I want to assign this competency to two courses, however require that both courses be completed in order to be competent in Quoting.  Is this possible?   Or, would they become competent if they passed only one of the courses?

Thank you in advance!!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Aaron Tuomala

Re: Competencies Linked to Multiple Courses

by Shirley Gregorczyk -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
As soon as the activity is completed the competency is awarded. The "workaround" to your use case, would be to have a single course, with two activities and the students needs to complete/pass both activity to be awarded to competency.

Courses are shells that may contain multiple activities before a student earn competency.
In reply to Shirley Gregorczyk

by Aaron Tuomala -
Thank you! I suppose I could also just create sub-competencies for each course or require one course to have the other completed first. I appreciate your help.

by Shirley Gregorczyk -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
The parent-child relationships in the competency frameworks did not work as I expected and I abandoned those.
Working with large competency structures (I have courses that award 18-20 competencies). in learning plans are cumbersome.
Good Luck!

by Randy Thornton -
Picture of Documentation writers
Aaron,

An alternative that may help is the Subcourse plugin: https://moodle.org/plugins/mod_subcourse. It's an activity that pulls in the final grade of another course into the course it is in. Since it is an activity it can have its own competency and do what Shirley suggested.

Randy
Average of ratings: Useful (1)