Students can't subscribe to forum?

Students can't subscribe to forum?

by Lisa Norman -
Number of replies: 0

We're on Moodle 3.7.2+ (Build: 20190927). I know that students could subscribe to forums in the past. We run classes monthly, so this is the first set of classes that we've run after the upgrade.

When I go into the forums, they're all set to optional subscription as desired. When I go into a forum as a teacher, I see the option to subscribe. When I go in as a student...I don't.

I'm trying to find the right permission to check, but I'm not sure which one to even suspect as being the problem.

In addition, I have one problem that I think is new. We don't use the messaging system much, so it may not be. A student reported that they couldn't message another student. I went to check the settings on the receiving student and got an error that made no sense -- file not found. When I checked my own message permissions, I got a nice pop-up on the right hand side.

Following the documentation for the file not found error leads to the moodledata folder having been moved...and it definitely has NOT been moved. (Haven't moved it in years.) I'm not sure what file to look for, and moodledata seems like the wrong place for a permissions setting anyway???

I'm feeling like something is wrong, but I don't feel like I have enough of a hold on this to narrow it down.

Does any of this make sense to anyone?

Average of ratings: -