is it possible to totally remove courses from the frontpage???

is it possible to totally remove courses from the frontpage???

by jordy koski -
Number of replies: 12

basically, I don't want to have any courses on my website as i'm using for forum puposes. is it possible to totally remove the courses menu bar from the frontpage???

thanks in advance,

jordy

Average of ratings: -
In reply to jordy koski

Re: is it possible to totally remove courses from the frontpage???

by Gustav W Delius -
Yes. You go to "Administration -> Configuration -> Site Settings" and choose the setting for "Front page format:".
In reply to Gustav W Delius

by Graham Robinson -
Sorry to bring up an old thread but I am having a problem removing the courses from the frontpage.

Doing what is suggested above just makes the courses more prominant. How do I get rid if courses so that you have to log in to see them?
In reply to Graham Robinson

by W Page -
Hi Graham,

• Go to the Configuration Page from the Admin Block on the HomePage.
  • Click on Variables on the Configuration Page
  • When you are on the Variables page go down to "forcelogin" and click yes in the drop down menu..
  • Suggest you also decide if you want yes or no for the "forceloginforprofiles" dropdown menu right below the "forcelogin" dropdown menu.
  • Click the "Save Changes" form button at the bottom of the page.

Anyone who comes to the site will now have to login to see the courses or the HomePage.

Hope this helps.

WP1

In reply to W Page

by Graham Robinson -
I really like the fact that a visitor can see all the news and context of the site and this gets rid of that.

What I don't really want people to see is 25 very similar sounding courses, I want them to see no courses on the frontpage and then just their course when they log on.

I take it that just the removal of the courses box when not logged in isn't possible. Is it something that could be added (he asks not knowing how big a job it is nor having the php skills to assist in the task shy )

{Edit} I have realised how I should be asking my question. I would like to remove 'courses' from throughout the whole of moodle and only have 'my courses' instead (and it's fine to have search all courses to find your course in the first instance).

Graham

by Graham Robinson -
I hope you don't mind the bump.

If I don't get an answer this time I will leave it but is there a way of removing 'courses' and only having 'my courses'?
In reply to W Page

by Alejandro Ortiz López -
I've follow these instructions, and it worked fine, but then I deleted some records in some tables, in order to clean forums and quizzes, and after that, this ceased to work. Is there any other place throughout the moodle database where it is stored this variable?

If I try to reconfigure the "forcelogin" variable through the "Variables" page in moodle admin, it makes the change, but it don't work.

thank you in advance.
AOL

by Gustav W Delius -
Ah, now I understand what you want. You want it both ways: no courses listed when not logged in but courses listed when logged in. That option does not exist in Moodle. So you will have to hack your moodle installation. Luckily it doesn't take much, you just have to delete some code from index.php. Let me know if you want help with that.

by Graham Robinson -
I see where I should change it but I don't know what I should change it too.

So that help you offered would very much be appreciated.

Cheers

I need some help with this... what I want to do is "forcelogin" in order to nobody sees courses unless logged in, AND once logged, only see "My Courses"... any advice? you say that it only takes much, just delete some code form index.php. What code?

Thanks.
AOL
In reply to Alejandro Ortiz López

by W Page -
Hi Alejandro,

Follow this path
HomePage >> Admin >> Variables

Go down the variable page until you get to "forcelogin:" .  In the dropdown menu choose "Yes". This will make  site visitors have to signin before they can see the "HomePage".

Also, there is a variable "forceloginforprofiles:".  If you choose "Yes" in the dropdown menu it will only allow "real" students [non-guests] to see profiles.

Suggest you read each description on the Variables page for these particular variables so you will be aquainted with why you may or may not want them on or off.       

Hope this helps.

WP1

In reply to W Page

thank you, WP
As I've wrote before, I've done that already, and it worked just as I wanted, UNTIL I deleted directly (using phpPgAdmin) some records of the moodle database from the tables of quiz responses and forums. Since then, people is forced to login to enter moodle, BUT once logged they are able to see the front page (which I don't want) instead of being redirected to their courses directly (which I do want).

Any advice?
Thanks a lot.
AOL
In reply to Alejandro Ortiz López

by W Page -
Hi Alejandro,

Whan a particular site participant is signed in from the login page they are taken to their "HomePage" which has the words "My Courses" on the top of the middle sections.. They will see only the courses they are enrolled in in this area.

Suggest you provide enrolment keys to each student depending on what course they are suppose to be in.  That way they weill not be able to automatically enroll in other courses on your site.

WP1