post video problem

post video problem

by shuai han -
Number of replies: 16

Hi,

My version is 3.7,recently i came to this problem:

when I upload video  to my Moodle site.Video can't be palyed.

I have tried mp4.flv but nothing happens.

like this:

i'v read this artical https://docs.moodle.org/37/en/Video. but i can't find nothing to help.

Any advice would be appreciate!

PS:sorry for my bad  english.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to shuai han

Re: post video problem

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
When you say ".mp4.flv" is this how your filename ends? It should probably be one or the other, as in "filename.mp4". Also, if you double-click on this file on your computer, does it play?
In reply to Rick Jerz

回复: Re: post video problem

by shuai han -
hi rick,Thank you for your help!
Soory,I didn't articulate the problem clearly.I mean I have tried flv and mp4 files,both worked like the picture showed and I'm sure I can play on my computer.I wonder if moodle have Special requirements for video formats.
I would be very grateful if you could tell me what videos you normally upload.
In reply to shuai han

Re: 回复: Re: post video problem

by Rick Jerz -
I do not upload videos into my Moodle. Instead, I have them on a video server and I link to them from my Moodle.

That being said, my videos are always h.264, mp4 videos. Pretty standard, by today's standards.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Rick Jerz

回复: Re: 回复: Re: post video problem

by shuai han -
yeah,I also tried the way you said,upload videos to some video servers.but i find the ads are pretty annoying.I think I should try more video servers.It's nice  you can find a video server with no ads.
I will try your video's format.
Thanks a lot!
In reply to shuai han

Re: 回复: Re: 回复: Re: post video problem

by Rick Jerz -
For years I have had a great university video server. Soon, my school is going to get rid of it. (Yeah, how's that for progress!) Anyway, I am in the same boat as you right now, looking for a good low-cost video server. I still have a few more months, and I do have one solution that might cost around $30/month. I am exploring for a better lower-cost solution. My school is using Kaltura, but Kaltura doesn't provide me a fully-qualified URL, something that I really want. My school also has Panopto, and I am exploring what that product might do. I am exploring Vimeo myself, and maybe their $20/mo product will work. DigitalOcean seems to have an interesting offering, but they are speaking a different language right now, so I have some learning ahead of me. Youtube, maybe so, but I too worry about ads, and as far as I know, Youtube doesn't provide a fully qualified URL.
In reply to Rick Jerz

回复: Re: 回复: Re: 回复: Re: post video problem

by shuai han -

I'm gratefull for your sharing!

Things are different for me in my country.I am chinese.In the past two days, I have tried our country's video website. There are two websites that meet the requirements.I don't know how fast you can visit.but you can have a shot.BTW they are both free!

acfun   https://www.acfun.cn/

bilibili  https://www.bilibili.com/

Or you can click the URL belew to my website to test the speed and check out if meet your requirements.

http://13.229.131.250/mod/lesson/view.php?id=17

To be honest,neither of these video sites is a dedicated educational website.

In reply to shuai han

Re: 回复: Re: 回复: Re: 回复: Re: post video problem

by Rick Jerz -

Ah, China. Yes, could be a problem. Maybe someone else will be able to help. 

In reply to Rick Jerz

回复: Re: 回复: Re: 回复: Re: 回复: Re: post video problem

by shuai han -
Thank you anyway!
In reply to shuai han

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Maybe Mr. Speerpike could help!

https://moodle.org/user/view.php?id=1736745&course=5

Where are ya James? ;)

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by shuai han -
Thank you!I will try to contact james.
In reply to Ken Task

by James Steerpike -
In the fair city of Guangzhou, Ken. This morning I used a Moodle video for the first time - embedding a one minute mp4 clip in an essay question and using the response template to provide a framework for a description of the video. Even with 40 students starting, stopping, and re-watching while typing everything worked smoothly. A useful addition to my repertoire.
So inserting a video directly into the text editor should work. First step is probably - is the uploaded file really a mp4? Try a mp3 sound file as well to see if that works. I think tackling the "can't embed" question should be first priority.
I see the test page on the poster's Moodle plays an Acfun video so streaming from an external site is not a problem.  However embedding your own video allows you more freedom in cutting and editing. 
Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to James Steerpike

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi James

Good to know. So these 41 people are in the same room? The server is in some other city, right? On your side of the bamboo wall? What is the network connection of the students?
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by James Steerpike -
All students in the same room using wired computers but the server is in Singapore. The video resolution is very low quality - I was able to downgrade the file using this site to a file size of just over 1 mB for a one  minute playback without any visible difference to the film quality standards of the 1920s. The window itself was small as I was trying to put minimal strain on a 1gB VPS.
Despite the small size ( and I was also planning for a phone screen), in the video the action was easy to follow. Haven't checked bandwidth usage but should be low.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by shuai han -
Hi James
Thank you for your sharing,I thought you are Chinese.The video from ACfun was uploaded by me.Like you said uploading videos to our own Moodle server will provide us with more convenience. I think I should try more Video formats or change the quality.
In reply to shuai han

Re: 回复: Re: 回复: Re: 回复: Re: 回复: Re: post video problem

by James Steerpike -
I teach English in China. TV programs are real speech at native speaker speed. For that I use clips of up to a minute and ask students questions. Links don't really work as I cut videos up so embedding is better - unless I could upload my edited clips to a server but my reading skills aren't up to it.
A few checks:
  • Are you using the video insert icon?
  • Check your file format. I have been using an online conversion service recently to convert to MP4.  Convert your video and try again ( also useful for decreasing size)
  • Check  Site administration -> Plugins -> Media players -> Manage media players The VideoJSPlayer should be enabled
  • Site administration -> Plugins -> Filters -> Manage filters  Multimedia plugins should be on
  • Check with different browsers - maybe computer and phone.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)

回复: Re: 回复: Re: 回复: Re: 回复: Re: 回复: Re: post video problem

by shuai han -
I converted the video again and again,finally solved!Thank you!!
Another problem turned up,my server doesn't have enough bandwidth,I don't think it's enough for 30 or 40 students to watch the video.May be for me the best way is still to upload videos to ACfun.If you need any help on chinese thing,I can help.