Teaching in front of a class with Moodle

Re: Teaching in front of a class with Moodle

by James Steerpike -
Number of replies: 3

Classroom time is limited and things that Moodle can do effectively outside the classroom should be homework but I still find Moodle very useful in the classroom. The textbook issued has screeds of artificial business conversations so I just binned it but I have too many students to print out handouts.
Using screens allows much more information to be presented at once. For example, I can give a dozen words each with a definition and an example, discuss it in front of the class, then give an exercise based on a quiz. I have shown students how to open two browser windows side by side, with new material on the left and exercises on the right. That gives me 10 minutes to talk to individual students so I am not always at the front talking. I can then move on or spend more time on the material based on what I see.
For an activity where I show a video clip and ask for a description, creating an essay question allows for a clear description of what I expect and suggested words or sentence starters before asking them to read their work out loud. Rather than mark it, I analyze common errors and create questions for homework .
I do have a great classroom with the option of closing the screens away - something I often do when I want focus only on the one talking.
Always looking for new ideas.

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to James Steerpike

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
You may be right. You are the teacher? Then you are always right!
smile

Seriously, if you feel you are more efficient when you alternate between (in person) presentations and students practicing on their devices, nobody can dispute that. My observation is that those devices do not free the students for your presentations. How did you tackle that problem?
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by James Steerpike -
I am so fortunate in classroom design. All screens are hinged so there are two possible classroom configurations. if I feel i have lost their attention, the screens disappear and there are no barriers between us.
I still have the mobile phone problem. Many use them wisely, and many photograph the screen to help them read it so i can't ban them. But I have 40 to 50 twenty year old students in my class and if some of them want to waste their time, that is not my problem. I teach those who want to learn.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to James Steerpike

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Good to know that I am not alone. smile

Seriously, I have seen all kinds of mechanisms to "take away" the screen. The latest and the most innovative one is a blue warning lamp. When the light burns, the devices must be dark.

Our now abondoned computer lab has not only screens which can be raised and lowered with motor control, also a button (software) which sends them dark!

Isn't it an irony, after the great progress we made with BYOD and other revolutions, we are reinventing old features?