User Segmentation and Isolation

User Segmentation and Isolation

by Daniil M -
Number of replies: 1

I have been tasked with creating a system where the admin is able to create teachers that are isolated from one another, i.e. cannot see other teachers or students of other teachers, all the while being able to add students belonging to their group/cohort and remove them without any prompt from the admin.

I know such trickery is possible via some clever combination of rules and privileges for the cohort teacher role, but I simply lack the knowledge and experience and googling power to figure it out yet. 

I have had only a few days to go through the documentation and tutorials in order to get a better understanding of the LMS, but I would also like to explore the avenue of simply inquiring from the community. If anyone experienced and creative enough can point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it a lot. 
I am a PHP developer, so if the solution requires altering the theme or writing up a plugin, I can handle that. 

I am running the latest version of Moodle: 3.7.2+ (Build: 20190913)

Thanks in advance,
Daniil

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Daniil M

Re: User Segmentation and Isolation

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I saw your post, Daniil, and thought that I would give it a shot.  However, in my Moodle, I don't have "teachers" because I run my own Moodle for my own courses, and I always take on the "manager" role, so that I can do anything I want.  Others here on Moodle.org might correct my comments, if they are in error.

Yes, admins have to add the teachers to each course.

Only the teacher who is assigned a course can see their courses and students.  Other teachers cannot wander into courses at will.  Nor can these teachers see which students are in other teacher's courses.

I am not sure about this ability for teacher's to add students.  It appears to me that teachers can add students, who are in Moodle, to their courses. (Someone else confirm.)

A teacher can remove students from their courses.  I like the method of "suspending" them instead of deleting them, just in case they decide to come back (their assignments grades are not deleted by suspending them.)

There is no "trickery" involved.  This is just normal Moodle.