our moodle platform is not reachable from our place

our moodle platform is not reachable from our place

by REMI PICARD (substitute) -
Number of replies: 4

hi,

since 2 days, we have an issue : our moodle plateform is not reachable from our school.

if we change the ISP, it is ok.

if we use a proxy or vpn, it is ok.

what can the problem be ?

does moodle have a "auto" IP blacklist feature  without display any single message to the visitor ?

Thank you for your help

Average of ratings: -
In reply to REMI PICARD (substitute)

Re: our moodle platform is not reachable from our place

by Leon Stringer -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

It's not automatic but Moodle can block and allow specific IP addresses/ranges.

When you say not reachable what message do you see?

Obviously there could be many items to troubleshoot, e.g. name resolution (DNS), web server configuration, firewall configuration, proxy server, routing.

In reply to Leon Stringer

hi,

i got no error message, the browser (whatever the brand or OS) just don't display anything and just say the not evailable.

From office, i performed a traceroute, the query passed throught the network and is block somewhere (node 116.251.117.165  ).
ps : red mark is our office.

traceroute from office

but in the same hour, from home (different ip address and different isp), the traceroute works fine and reach our website moodle (green mark)

traceroute from home

so, what is the problem ? from us ? from somewhere in the world of routeurs ? from country ?

by Leon Stringer -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Can you confirm that the Moodle site's domain name resolves to the same IP address at the office and at home?

If you telnet to the IP address on port 443 (or port 80 if it's not an HTTPS site) from the office does this fail to connect? What message do you get?

Traceroute is an inexact test as some hops may deliberately not respond. But I can't see that the office connection converges on the route taken by the home connection which I'd expect.

There are two potential issues with routing I can think of: 1) the routing tables used on the outbound route and 2) the routing tables used on the return route.

If it is a routing issue then first check with the local network support that there are no specific routing rules for the Moodle site's IP address.

If you manage or have root access to the Moodle web server check that the routing table on this has no specific rule which may cause this. If possible run a traceroute from the server back to the public IP addresses of your home and office and compare these.

The web server (e.g. Apache, Nginx) could have rules blocking specific IP addresses.

Any routing issue that was external to both your office and the Moodle web server would have to be escalated to the ISP for your office's Internet connection or that hosting the web site.

I'm assuming there's no web proxy in use at your office, if there is you'll need to be doing your nslookup, telnet and routing tests to/from this.

hi,

the problem is "solved" because our isp changed our private static IP, so the device which blocked us in the world can't recognyze us anymore.

but we don't know why this happend (blaclist, abuse, censure....)

have  a good day