Local area network server

Local area network server

by curt bixel -
Number of replies: 19

I have been successful setting up a local area moodle server on a raspberry pi.  The whole “MoodleBox” installation instructions and disk image made that quite easy.

I am, however, exceeding the capabilities of the raspberry pi.

My next effort will be to try to set up an old laptop as a local area network.  There will be no connection to the internet at all.  

I am wondering if anyone can provide a link to do exactly that.  

I do have a bit of experience with moodle as I have set up and run my own moodle server on a cloud based server.  They do, however, make it easy to do.

I don’t actually even know if I would need to connect a router to my laptop or if the other computers could just hook up wirelessly directly to the laptop server.

In any case, before I start sifting through the moodle documentation, which is excellent, I am hoping I can save a bit of time by following someone’s directions who has recently been down this path.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to curt bixel

Re: Local area network server

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
It is the easiest thing in the world, at least on Linux. Do a "localhost" installation first and change the $CFG->wwwroot from 'http://localhost' to 'http://a.b.c.d' where a.b.c.d is the IP address of the laptop. That will be the URL for the other computers to visit your Moodle. Whether you LAN is wired or wireless does not make a difference.

Usually the "router" in your LAN also has a built-in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_Host_Configuration_Protocol (DHCP) server which allocates clients an IP address on request. They are in the range of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_address#Private_addresses.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to curt bixel

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

"... set up an old laptop as a local area network."

Mind describing a little more of environment?

From above, sounds like classroom with no network at all ... wired or wireless ... outside of what Moodlebox provides.  Is that accurate?

Moodlebox does provide a Wi-Fi router .. which means it provides a service called DHCP ... The Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) is a network management protocol used on UDP/IP networks whereby a DHCP server dynamically assigns an IP address and other network configuration parameters to each device on a network so they can communicate with other IP networks.

This 'old laptop' ... what is it? and what operating system is already installed on it?  Also does it have a network port - for network cable?  Can it do wireless?  How much memory it has.

Among  things to remember as you embark on this venture ... a network should have only one DHCP server ... ie, if you are successful in standing up this laptop running a DHCP service and serving a moodle, the moodlebox may not be able to be on as well - conflicting network setup.

A question/suggestion since you've said you already maintain a moodle in internet - I take it you do that from home.

You get your internet at home how?  Does your provider lease to you a Modem/device for connections to their service?  Bet it is a WiFi/Router.  So your set up at home is going to be *almost* exactly what you want to replicate at school.

Consider that one might be able to get a donated WiFi/Router ... even though it's old and probably shouldn't be used for upstream connectivity it could be used for your schools LAN/classroom.  One just doesn't connect the port usually maked as 'Internet' on the back of it.  They have RJ45 ports on the back of the device for wiring what you want connected ... like a printer or a local server ... or your Moodle server on that laptop.

The only additional service you would need is a DNS server which could be configured to use schoolname.local domain.

As far as my experience ... I used to setup TCP/IP ethernet networks for school districts prior to an entities connection to the internet.

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by curt bixel -
Ken, and Visvanath,

It is good to see you again. You certainly would not remember me, but you saved me years ago when I chose to set up my own moodle server in the cloud after my school district lost my courses and could not retrieve my backups. I was really stuck, because I had not been able to take my own backup at that point. (You helped me figure out later that the problem with the backups was that my course was too big and the server was timing out during the zipping process.)

Anyway, I have my courses all loaded up and working with MoodleBox on the Raspberry Pi, and my students used it today, but I don't think the wireless capabilities of the Raspberry Pi (RP) are up to it. We could have about 14 students connecting to the RP at once, but after that, more students could not connect. Its a Raspberry Pi 3+.

I suspect at this point that a laptop with a router would be a better setup.

I have access to a variety of old laptops, PC and Mac, and I guess I could load Linux on one of them. (I've never used Linux, but I pick this stuff up reasonably quickly). I also have a router that is certainly overkill for the situation. Its a NetGear Nighthawk that is about 2 years old.

I even have a 2012 MacBook pro that has Moodle up and running with the single click installation. "Moodle packages for Mac OS X"

That is running everything exceptionally well. I am wondering if I could just use that if I don't plan on ever connecting to the internet. I understand that the single click installation is weak as far as security is concerned.

If that works, would it be as simple as connecting the router to the old Mac?

So, the advice I am looking for would be three things:

First, what are the minimum specs for a laptop to run a mac installation to serve a maximum of 28 students, with the maximum load being that whole class banging away hard on a moodle quiz, which I think is the most intensive use imaginable in this situation.

Second, what would be the best way to set this up? Moodle one click install package? PC Laptop running Linux? some other setup?

Third, how to I hook up the router if that is necessary. (I might be able to figure this out from Visvanath's advice above.
In reply to curt bixel

Hi Curt

It is nice that you remember an old encounter with us. On my part, I am forced to purge all my caches at every Moodle release. Sorry for that!
smile

Now to your questions: You are at a junction with three routes:
a) try to salvage the MoodleBox
b) migrate to a Linux laptop
c) migrate to a Mac laptop

You will be able to do both b) and c), you need to understand some basic stuff about LAN. My previous post had the initial pointers. Take time, these are fundamentals you'll need every day. About the capacity of the laptop, a decade old Pentium III would do, so no demands at all on that front. Your "old" laptop and the MacBook are most likely over-kills. Please note that neither of them will give you a wireless access point (MoodleBox does).

I would encourage you to give a try to salvage the MoodleBox, path a). it is very handy (size of a pack of cigarettes), highly portable, needs only a 5 V supply and comes everything included: Moodle, wireless access point, DHCP server, wireless router and ethernet (wired) adapter. I used it in two different szenarios, both went very well.

Now I assume that you are talking of RPi 3B, 3B+ or 4A. Which one? I also assume your pupils connect their devices to its wireless access point (not the wired ethernet connection). Under those conditions 28 devices are just over the prescribed maximum of 25. Please note that, this rather low number is not due to limitations in the CPU or RAM, rather a (perhaps an artificial) limitation in the wireless driver in Raspbian. (The problem is known to the developers.) Therefore it doesn't make much difference whether your users actively take part in an on-line exam or just typing on a forum.

You'll find all the details in this discussion https://discuss.moodlebox.net/d/36-low-number-of-concurrent-connected-users.
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by curt bixel -

I am going to try to do both.  I have seen that the Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ does seem to have some reported WiFi issues that seem to be in line with what I am experiencing.  It also sounds like a software problem, so I am hoping a future update will solve this problem. 

I may try a Raspberry Pi 3 model B, as this seems to have better WiFi performance than the 3+ at the current time.  I do worry that I may lose data, as I am not as confident in the reliability of the Raspberry Pi and microSD card as the hard drive in a laptop.  (Please tell me if this is an unfounded worry.)

I am also going to try the MacBook Pro.  

Currently I have the MacBook Pro up and running with the Moodle4Mac-37  package, and my URL bar is now showing     10.252.104.218:8888/moodle37/ 

instead of                    localhost.8888/moodle37/

Is there a way to make this show up as something friendlier to students, such as "scienceclass.com"  ?

My next step will be to look into LAN stuff and figure out how to hook up the router.  It can't be as simple as just plugging it in with an ethernet cable.  

In reply to curt bixel

by Ken Task -

So, given this new information ... you are on an internal private IP network already.  Caution: I hope you are doing this with the network folks knowledge and not acting as 'shadow it' or worse yet, 'rouge'. 

Having been a network tech and I know that certain things can totally confuse and disable internet access for others ... un-intended consequence of tinkering.

Don't EVER plugin your MoodleBox's to the upstream network.

Your ISD network should not have multiple DHCP services providing IP's/DNS info that will/might conflict.  It will cause issues and your network people will NOT like it at all ... neither will other teachers/students.

This bit of info brings rise to another question ... why won't 'upper a' provide you with a true server class machine to use?  OR, at least, like I used to, retired high ended workstations that could be turned into Linux based servers?

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

Hi Ken

I agree with you that guerilla actions in somebody else's network is asking for trouble. Initially I thought Curt is in a home network. But 28 students present at the same time, can't be an apartment!
;-P

But in this particular case, the MoodleBox, the developer has thought of the danger of two DHCP servers. The DHCP server in the MoodleBox responds only on the wireless side. On the Ethernet side, it is a DHCP client! See https://moodlebox.net/en/help/moodlebox-network-topology/.

So the warning "Don't plug in the MoodleBox to upstream network" has no ground.

And about the server class hardware: RPi is not meant as a server either. The question is, whether the application of the OP needs server class hardware. May be he needs portability. (That is the reason why I use MoodleBox.)

by Ken Task -

Hmmm ... followed the link ... read the info ... saw the diagram ... DHCP on the wireless interface means wireless devices - the ones used by Curt's students and any other device within range of the moodlebox will acquire/interact with the DHCP service on the moodlebox. 10.0.0.1/24 is a very large range of IP's - 254 to be exact.   That's more than can connect to it!  A students own device not in Curt's classroom ... student or plural students ... could choose to connect to the Moodlebox network.  Curt can't stop them from doing so ... notice I said 'plural students'.

How well do you get along with all students in nearby classrooms or within range of your Moodlebox, Curt?   Don't answer ... am sure you and your students get along and all students at 'upper a' would never ever do anything disruptive on 'upper a''s network.

Thus ... will again suggest a truer server be used.

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Ken Task -

Follow up ... didn't mean to make it sound like MoodleBox on a RasB is junk and don't do it ... far from it.   Think it has great application if conditions/environment meets the intent.

Example ... think there is an ISD or two here in USA that are doing this ...

A MoodleBox mounted on a bus ... capacity of bus is around 72 (safely?) or so students - more than likely most have fewer students riding.  

Some bus routes are extremely long ... have seen reports of some being 2.5 hours.  Bus is the network so even if bus moves into a 'Twilight Zone', no problems with students connectivity on the bus.

Bus driver might really appreciate such a set up ... no idle hands/minds.  Heck, kiddo's might not want to get off the bus if the moodlebox has games and other stuff ... 'cool videos/audios' ... along with 'educational content', of course! smile

Heck, would have loved something like that when I was in HS ... 10 hour bus ride from just south of Fairbanks, Alaska to Anchorage, Alaska (1966) in winter ... and later an Ath. bus from Wichita Falls, Tx to Lubbock, Tx. 

Ever try read a book or write notes on a bumpy bus?

Boy!  I could have been high scorer on 'Space Invaders' for sure! smile

Anyhooooo ... more 2 'sense'! smile

SoS, Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Nicolas Martignoni -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Ken,

Thanks for your inputs. However, it seems to me that you have some misconceptions about MoodleBox default configuration, capabilities and tweaking possibilities.

For people wanting an exact picture of the device and possibilities, I'll advise to have a look at the MoodleBox documentation, and for specific questions about the MoodleBox configuration, check the MoodleBox discussions forum.

Disclaimer: I'm MoodleBox maintainer.

In reply to Nicolas Martignoni

by Ken Task -

Don't think I have misconceptions ... granted I stated flately without technical explanations to OP.  Have been in direct communicaions with the OP (Curt). There are some things going on in his ISD which shouldn't be discussed in a public forum.

I do understand the entities concerns about a MoodleBox, however.  Personally, have actually worn all the hats involved.  From an non-IT teacher perspective ... great ... easy ... but putting on other hats, I can see that non-IT teacher may not put on the hat of IT - true server admin.  For as long as I can remember, that's a rub.

And so sharing some more ...

"On your device, choose MoodleBox wireless network. When prompted type the password: moodlebox (all lowercase) and confirm your connection."

You’re now connected on the Wi-Fi network, and you can access to the Moodle environment via your browser, using the following address: http://moodlebox.home/. The home page of your Moodle will now display.

https://moodlebox.net/en/help/moodlebox-network-topology/

eth0 is for upstrean DHCP connection to the wide area net.
All links contained in the moodleBox Moodle headed to the internet if clicked upon by a Moodlebox user would show to upstream network as coming from the DHCP acquired IP.

Devices connected
10.0.0.10 (so .0 -> 10 are used in moodlebox
.11 -> .254 used for devices - so that's a total of 234 devices - thus potentially max of 234 users in the Moodle.

All that above is great ... no problem ...

One tweak for which I see potential is for MySQL ... default max connetions is defaulted to 151 typically.

Mac/PC user from a terminal is connected upstream through the MoodleBox.  The MoodleBox is the gateway to the upstream
Rooted Andriod device ... same.

Online documentation for how to connect via ssh is public.  Any student can read it.  From to time there is published articles on default logins etc. for home routers and other such.  Didn't see any recommendation that some defaults should be changed.

Yes, there is a firewall ... see that in diagram.  What ports are allowed outbound?

And what might be the most important question ... updates to the linux OS (Debian based as I see apt-get in updating MoodleBox software running Moodlebox).   Does it check and acquire any updates for '0-day' fixes/patches - especially for PHP, MySQL, Apache.  Can it be set to an auto mode for security rated updates?

"it is recommended to update regularly the server software on the MoodleBox"
https://moodlebox.net/en/help/how-to-upgrade-the-moodlebox/

So admin of a MB must remember to do that ... just like entities network/server techs.

Moodle releases new code every week.  Moodle takes security very seriously as they should and provides fixes to issues as they are discovered.  Does MoodleBox have the ability to acquire those fixes/patches ... see offered now is 3.7.1. Could MoodleBox use git?

I see there is a plugin available:
https://moodle.org/plugins/tool_moodlebox

https://github.com/moodlebox/moodle-tool_moodlebox/blob/master/README.md

Nice ... IMHO ... should be considered for core! smile

Anyhoo ... all in all MB is great ... there are, however, some 'catch 22's.

Would have one suggestion for info found on MB pages ... something for the network techs in an ISD/entity.  More technical explanations.   Why? While those persons might be well versed in Microsoft everything, a Linux server is a 'black box' to them.   Case in point ... this happened years ago and one would think it wouldn't be a concern today ...

Was invited to an ISD in Tx known for their tech to install a Linux based Moodle server.   Before I could begin, Tech Director asked if I would have time to talk to the entire IT staff about open source.

Interesting things ... one IT tech said ... 'if Linux was to be brought into the district, he would resign.'  He did ... that day ... even before any talk!

Ran into that very same person years later at a workshop I was conducting at another location about installing Linux/Moodle/etc. (Bring Your Own Box).   Hmmmm ... in his new position he was to be the primary tech contact for a Linux based Moodle server.  He readily admitted acting in haste. ;)

One of the network/server admin types asked if installation of this Linux box would upset his Active Directory which he just finished setting up and tweaking ...  running like a top ...

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

MoodleBox, Moodle, Linux and FOSS in general [OT]

Hi Ken

Thanks for the detailed feedback on MB. Meticulous as ever.
wink

I found the Microsoft Networking part interesting, or say, rattled by it. Haven't had a discussion a long time. So let's shoot [OT].

Yep, believe it or not, there are Microsoft Engineers, who travel (only) on Microsoft Networks. I was baffled the first time I saw a book titled Microsoft Networks. OK, if it was about NetBIOS, SMB and the related Microsoft stack I would have understood. It was just about the application layer of TCP/IP, explained in a product terminology.

Whatever, it is understandable that those who've fallen in to that hole fear the general (OSI) talk of the Linux crowd. Yes, fear is a bad companion. But that generation is getting old, I observe a new generation who just take whatever the product which promises to finish the job cleanly, i.e. function pragmatically. They don't have huge emotional hurdles like the others. 'course I am talking of a particular crowd, my entities rather.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)

Re: MoodleBox, Moodle, Linux and FOSS in general [OT]

by Ken Task -

We are on the same page!

And you are 100% correct in saying it's a matter of attrition ... old dudes/dudettes need to retire before the new wave (younger/more inclined to 'think out of the box') gets to decision making positions.   That's happening ... in some cases ... ever so slowly.

I know and respect some folks who 'bleed blue' ... if they had a medals for all their MS certs they might not be able to sit, stand, or walk errect!!! smile

Such  is the world of 'education' ... some well known/established corps are even worse, IMHO!

'SoS', Ken

In reply to curt bixel

Hi Curt

You wrote:
> I have seen that the Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ does seem to have some reported WiFi issues that seem to be in line with what I am experiencing.

Could you give the references, please?

> It also sounds like a software problem,

If so, why do 3B and 3B+ perform differently? They share the wireless hardware and you run the same MoodleBox on it, so the same software which comes with Raspbian.

> so I am hoping a future update will solve this problem.

The issue is here https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues/3010.

> I may try a Raspberry Pi 3 model B, as this seems to have better WiFi performance than the 3+ at the current time.

Same, where are the references?

> I do worry that I may lose data, as I am not as confident in the reliability of the Raspberry Pi and microSD card as the hard drive in a laptop.

The lifetime of SD, SSD and magentic discs is a never ending discussion. I never had punched SD cards in my MoodleBoxes. If you worry about it, makes sense to take a distribution which is tuned to such hardware - like MoodleBox.
wink

> Currently I have the MacBook Pro up and running with the Moodle4Mac-37 package, and my URL bar is now showing 10.252.104.218:8888/moodle37/ instead of localhost.8888/moodle37/

Apple is not my line, still. If you want to go that step, you need an internal DNS. localhost, being local to the machine iteself, will not work. Again, MoodleBox comes with its DNS for the wireless network. The wireless clients reach the Moodle instance in MoodleBox through http://moodlebox.home. https://moodlebox.net/en/help/wi-fi-connection/

BTW, why the non-standard port 8888? If you use the standard port 80, the whole :8888 part becomes unnessary. Note the colon before the port number, it is not the dot.

> Is there a way to make this show up as something friendlier to students, such as "scienceclass.com"?

Inventing domain names can give unexpected results. It was just last week Swisscom made headlines by sending confidential data to "non-existent" e-mail addresses. Some clever customers have hidden their e-mail addresses by entering domains, which don't exist - that is what they thought. They didn't know that it is a hobby of others to register such domains and read the fall out.

> My next step will be to look into LAN stuff and figure out how to hook up the router. It can't be as simple as just plugging it in with an ethernet cable.

It is! Simply too good to be true. The ethernet interface kicks up on connection, fetches an IP address from the upstream DHCP server and start routing between the wireless and wired networks!

by Ken Task -

Good to hear Moodlebox can't be mis-configured for upsteam ... or at least if no one fools with config ... I've learned, many times, that 'can't' and 'never' should always have * after them with explanations! smile. Anyone wanna bet? smile

Apples have web sharing ... really have apache 1.3 (maybe apache 2.x by now) used for web sharing on port 80 ... that's why the alt port of 8888 ... BTW, as a person who sometimes uses a Mac in a network situation have found it extremely useful in a pinch to a shared something via Web sharing.   Linux boxen can acquire via wget.

Since then have learned about python on port 8000 - can be done on Linux machines as well ... stealthier ... don't have to piddle with any on/off etc.

Anyhoo ... Curt doesn't lack for options and choices!   Have fun! ;)

'SoS', Ken

One obvious thing I missed earlier:

You said:
> I do worry that I may lose data, as I am not as confident in the reliability of the Raspberry Pi and microSD card as the hard drive in a laptop.

Why worry about this particular danger, when there are countless other dangers, like the laptop being stolen? The answer to all this is called, "Back up the data"!
In reply to curt bixel

by Ken Task -

Thought I'd better follow up some more on these:

Is there a way to make this show up as something friendlier to students, such as "scienceclass.com"  ?

Your 'upper a' network folks could help with this ... and do it for internal DNS servers only.   However, if one just randomly picked a fully qualfied domain name that was registered and existed already, then your internal folks (ie, all of 'upper a') would NOT be able to access the true site.

The domain you've given as example already exist:

scienceclass.com.    600    IN    A    208.109.7.9

and is already hosted on GoDaddy.

One slip up by your network folks/DNS admins could create problems for users of "scienceclass.com" and an official complaint by GoDaddy!

Uhhh ... have seen the above happen with an ISD!

Best if you purchase a domain name but don't assign any DNS servers to it ... 'parked' ... GoDaddy can provide such a service for very little cost.

*YOU* own the domain name ... not 'upper a' ... if you leave 'upper a' your domain name goes with you.

'Upper A' would just need to add a zone for your registered domain in their private DNS entries ONLY and not the outside public DNS.   Then, your students and anyone inside 'upper a''s network could access your moodle by your FQDN - like 'cbixelthescienceguy.com'

My next step will be to look into LAN stuff and figure out how to hook up the router.  It can't be as simple as just plugging it in with an ethernet cable. 

You do not need a WiFi/router and they are 'plugin and play' ... in your case, 'plug and wreck'!  First hand experience ... pardon the following story ...

Every year (for many years) I and four others provide network/technical support for a state conference ... TCEA .. @Austin Convention Center (ACC).  ACC provided not only wired but wireless .. the wireless was new and only available in certain areas of the convention center.  All that worked well ... but, Apple had just announced and was selling for the first year, those Apple Base Stations ... Apple techs were going around with a cart load of them setting up ABS's in ever Lab at the ACC without checking with anyone.   Support issues flooded the four of us.  Network issues ... and all because of hastily/misc-configured ABS's.

Could tell another story about how a media library person, on the technical advice of tech support for a Media Library Booking system running Windows 98 with a special TCP/IP stack, wrecked ... wrecked ... DNS for 4 workshops and 100+ persons working at an ESC.  For an hour there ... my phone was ringing off the hook ... 100's of very angry folks ... and those in workshops were beginning to demand their $ back (at $500.00 a pop, don't blame them at all).

It was resolved and this network tech/DNS server admin person was very, very, very angry ... calmed down by the time I talked to the Media Library person who had already suffered the wrath of angry persons ... there were no secrets at that entity ... ever.  One of the sweetest ladies I have ever had the pleasure to meet and work along side.

'in the spirit of sharing' ... the 'good, bad, and ugly!'

Ken

In reply to curt bixel

by Ken Task -

Hmmm ... "....minimum specs for a laptop to run a mac installation ..." sounds like your preference is Mac.   However, something to consider ... any laptop does not have 'server class' hardware.  GUI desktop, sleep mode, screen savers, and Solitaire on such machines can and do/does 'ruin your day'.  (been there ... done that!)

IF a moodlebox on a **more powerful** rasp pi will work, go for it. 
That's the 'devil you know'!

Going other routes ... a Mac laptop isn't server class hardware.  If you have ever turned on Web sharing, did you ever notice the warning about limits?

A PC/or Mac with the localhost installs of Moodle ... hacked to be able to
access from other stations ... same ... even if it's not a security issue.

Related ... if you knew one PC/Mac was to be doing Digital Video Editing and multimedia creation/production, an off the shelf set up not advised.
One would max out any and all that one could max out ... HD, Memory, etc.

It's been my experience that a Linux opeerating system, installed with NO GUI could do more with less.  Not only that, but setup/config/installing moodle was easier because one can find tons of blogs etc. that will tell you how 2!

Still though ... more memory, larger HD, better tech ... NO HDD ... best.

At the ESC where I worked, I used to take Windows machines from Business Office and turn  them into internet servers.  Biz Manager knew his people worked with large Spreadsheets and high end PEIM's data so he would max out whatever.   Perfect!

Wipe out Windows ... install a Linux with NO GUI and I had an internet server that was perfect for a small school that could not afford to buy anything!  A standalone Linux server with Moodle could handle 150 clients ... easily ... and with very little tweaking.

A WiFi router doing minimal means servers inside won't have to perform such task/services - and easy to setup once ... leave on.  Means more for Moodle.  Additional service ... that of minimal DNS (on Linux Bind) will be needed ... but that could be a very low end box.   DNS so you can run a TCP/IP stack domain like schoolname.local and be able to connect to private IP only Moodle with elearning.schoolname.local ... much easier to remember than an IP address. smile. Could run Bind (DNS) on same server as Moodle.  And control it all with Webmin (an open sourced cPanel that has it's own web service [perl based]).  Still do that with servers I maintain today.

My 2 cents!

'SoS', Ken