Limit maximum mark on second attempt of quiz

Limit maximum mark on second attempt of quiz

by Jethro Knowles -
Number of replies: 3

Hi All.

So to elaborate. I have a moodle with a course and within the course there are a number of quizzes. Students are allowed two attempts per quiz. The initial attempt and then a second attempt IF they fail the first attempt. I know that within the quiz settings you can adjust the number of attempts but here's the part i'm struggling with, if a student fails the first attempt and does the second attempt then the highest mark they can achieve is 50%. How do i set the maximum grade to 50% for the second attempt only?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jethro Knowles

Re: Limit maximum mark on second attempt of quiz

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I'm not sure that you can do it directly. Try this workaround:

Duplicate your quiz. Set the grade to 100% for the first quiz and 50% for the second one. Set the number of attempts to one in both quizzes. Set the display of the second quiz conditional to a failing mark in the first one. In the gradebook, set a formula that selects the highest mark between the two quizzes.

I am on holidays and I can't try the above but I think it should work.

In reply to Dominique Bauer

by Jethro Knowles -
This sounds like a promising work around i'll give it a try and see how it works! my only question would be will the duplicate quizzes appear in the grade book regardless of completion? This might not be ideal as the gradebook is already quite cluttered and the system my client has in place for marking is not what you would call "standardized", so adding more items to the gradebook will just add more complexities to an already complex system.
In reply to Jethro Knowles

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I'm out of the office and I can't remember if quizzes can be hidden in the gradebook. I think so but I am not sure.