Grading by percentage, automatically adjusting for proper point value

Grading by percentage, automatically adjusting for proper point value

by Timothy Fox -
Number of replies: 0

Hello, 

I run the online program for a seminary in Florida. We are currently using Moodle version 3.3.1. I'm trying to figure out how to grade assignments on a 100-point-scale (i.e., by percentage), but then for the point values to be automatically increased or decreased in the gradebook based on how much of the final grade that assignment is worth. 

In the past, we've been using a 1000 point scale, with all kinds of point values for different assignments, and so all kinds of rubrics with very specialized point scales. E.g., a final essay worth 300 points total (=30% of final grade). 

We'd like to switch to a system where assignments can just be graded by percentage (so enabling us to have only one 100-point rubric for various kinds of assignments across the courses). So, e.g., that final essay might get a 80%, so that it's final point value would then be 240 points. 

I can't figure out how to get the gradebook to do this. The "multiplicator" seems to be quite strange, only allowing point values to hit a maximum ceiling of the assignment's maximum point value (which we'd like to be 100 points in line with the percentage-grading rubric). I've been able to sort of figure out something by changing the various "weightings" in the gradebook, but this requires adjusting the weightings of all assignments (not just the ones that we want to give the percentage-based point rubric, e.g., not quizzes); doing this displays a much lower final point total than our usual amounts (out of 1000), even though it does give the percentage correctly. 

Is there a simpler way to grade by percentage, and then have the gradebook automatically display a "multiplied" point value depending on how much the assignment is worth in the grand scheme of the total class? E.g., for the final essay mentioned above, I could input a score of 80 points (while grading the assignment), but have this automatically translated into 240 points in the gradebook? 

Thanks,

Tim