25 Random Questions - 5+20 or 30-5 ??

25 Random Questions - 5+20 or 30-5 ??

by Tara Richardson -
Number of replies: 17

Moodle gives me options of 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,20,30,40,50, etc 

I need a quiz with 25 random questions. 

Has me wondering if I ADD 5, then ADD 20, is there a chance that moodle sees that as two commands and could pull the same random question between the 5 and 20? 

Thanks in advance! 

Tara

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tara Richardson

Re: 25 Random Questions - 5+20 or 30-5 ??

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hello Tara,

No, I do not think so. thoughtfulYou can add 5 + 20,  10 + 10 + 5,  30 - 5 (add 30 then delete 5) or any other combination totaling 25. During the quiz, the 25 questions will always be different from each other, whatever combination you have used to add them to the quiz. Note that the category, in which the 25 random questions are chosen, must contain at least 25 questions.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Dominique Bauer

by Tara Richardson -

Thanks for that information Dominique. I thought surely that would be the case. 

I do have another question. If I duplicate the quiz after creating it with the random selection of questions from a variety of categories, do you happen to know what is the cause of the duplicated quiz showing an error in certain question spots? 

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
What is the error message?
In reply to Emma Richardson

by Tara Richardson -
Hi Emma! I attached a screen shot to Rick's reply. Thanks in advance for any insight into this issue.

by Tara Richardson -
Emma, I don't know if you'll see this post below or not, so copying here below your comment:

I believe a buggy process has been discovered which is why the questions are being removed. I don't know exactly how to explain it, but the tracker report on it has been shared with me. You can see it here to follow the process if interested.

https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-66273

I do appreciate everyone's input and insight into this!

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

A screenshot would be helpful showing the error message.

by Melanie Scott -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Are the questions in activity question bank, course question bank or category question bank? Is your duplicate in the same course or another one? If you build questions in an activity question bank, those questions cannot be used in another activity (and if you copy the course, the questions do not copy over--which is frustrating).
In reply to Melanie Scott

by Tara Richardson -
Melanie, Thank you for your reply. Questions are in the site's question bank. They are being used frequently across multiple courses. I'm attaching a screen shot of the error to Ricks reply who asked to see an image. Thanks again for any further information.

by Rick Jerz -
Melanie might be on to something. These questions might belong to a course, and if you move the quiz to another course, the questions do not exist in that course (or course category.) Verify that both courses are in the same category, and that the questions are not in any one specific course, as opposed to the shared course category.
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Tara Richardson -
Hi Rick, The questions are being pulled from the site-level categories in our question bank.

by Rick Jerz -
So what happens if you try to edit one of those questions with a "?" using the gear (on the left side of the question?) Is it found? And then do the same thing for a question without a "?". Compare the quiz categories.

To do what I suggest, you might need to go back to the original quiz.

(Moodle does allow a question to exist only in a quiz, as I recall. My suggestion above might help to figure out what might be going on.)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Tara Richardson -
I believe a buggy process has been discovered which is why the questions are being removed. I don't know exactly how to explain it, but the tracker report on it has been shared with me. You can see it here to follow the process if interested.

https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-66273

I do appreciate everyone's input and insight into this!

by Rick Jerz -
Okay, interesting. Might you be able to delete, then re-add those troublesome questions as a temporary fix?
In reply to Dominique Bauer

by Emma Richardson -
I can't help wondering why are we limited to picking a specific number of questions ? Perhaps a tracker request to change this to a text entry field where we can specify would be in order...
In reply to Emma Richardson

by Tara Richardson -
Yes, the options are strange. Requires two steps for any number not in the list. I think your request would be great.