Allowing permenant editing

Allowing permenant editing

by Kieran Briggs -
Number of replies: 2

Hi All,

I'm currently on 3.5.2

We have a forum activity which our participants can use throughout our module.  I would like them to be able to edit their posts along the way.  I'm aware that there is the notice saying its editable for 30 minutes.  I wondered if there is somewhere when I can change that option?  I've had a look in the role definition and there is only a capability to edit all posts not just there own.

Thanks

Kieran

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kieran Briggs

Re: Allowing permenant editing

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

You find it under Site Administration - Security - Site Security Settings. 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to John Provasnik

Re: Allowing permenant editing

by Jon Bolton -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
But that’s not quite what the OP is asking though - that setting only allows the editing time to be increased to a maximum of 60mins.

You could potentially increase the value directly in the database though - in mdl_config table, look for the “maxeditingtime” - it will be 1800 by default (60 seconds x 30 minutes). If you increase it there, Moodle will honour it, but your change will NOT be reflected in the maximum editing time setting dropdown in the site security settings page so you’ll need to be very careful not to overwrite it (if you change ANY setting in the site security settings page, it will revert to whatever is set in the dropdown list!) Note that this will still not give you permanent editing!

It might be better to use another activity if you need continual editing: blogs, wikis, journal plugin, etc.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)