Migrating to Docker

Migrating to Docker

by Yoel Gutierrez -
Number of replies: 2

Hello, I hope someone can help me here. 

I have the task to create multiple Moodle to different sub companies the owner have. So, we have some docker containers for a few things here, WordPress sites, a brand new Moodle, etc. 

I currently have one Moodle site running perfectly in Ubuntu Server and recently I have upgraded everything on the current Moodle site. I create a Moodle container in my Docker Server and works perfectly, But I dont have an idea how to move the current Live Moodle to the a new Moodle container.

The thing is that I dont want to start all over again to build the complete site on the container(recreate all courses, loose activity completion, etc) 

I found so many procedures but could not found any clear step by step procedure 

This is my current environment: 

Moodle version 3.7+ (Build: 20190620)

MySQLDatabase mysql (8.0.16)

PHP Version 7.1.30

Ubuntu18.04.1

Users are created manually and changed to authenticate with LDAP server with the domain credentials

I really appreciate your help on this matter

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Yoel Gutierrez

Re: Migrating to Docker

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
There's been one or two Docker users around here but it doesn't seem like a big thing.

Except in cases of complex setups (which Moodle isn't), I'm really not clear what problem it's supposed to fix.
In reply to Yoel Gutierrez

Re: Migrating to Docker

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Years ago there was a gentleman that was making a lot of $ by figuring out how Joomla installed ... rather than blank site which had to be configured, Joomla install offered to install some 'test data'.  He supplied an sql file to use instead of the option to build from scratch or the 'test data'.

Customer ended up with a 'pre-configured' Joomla site for K12 schools.

Cloning a moodle minimal site (code/data directory) wouldn't be a problem. Change to config.php URL variable, DB variables etc.

The DB, however, different story ... Moodle, as you know, uses URL variable in many tables to build internal to that instance links.

But ... if one had a sql dump one could search/replace to handle that and then import DB for the new instance.

Maybe a 'run me first' script?

2 cent thoughts.

'SoS', Ken