No Such File or Directory Error on Initial Login

No Such File or Directory Error on Initial Login

by Leonard Pellman -
Number of replies: 4

I am trying to install Moodle on a server hosted on Directnic.  Apparently, Directnic uses an older version of PHP, because Moodle 3.7 would not install.  So now I am attempting to install Moodle 3.4.9 instead.  I set up the MySQL and uploaded and extracted the .zip file, but when I attempt to access the web-based install I get the following error message:

"Warning: require(version.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/MYACCOUNT/public_html/WEBSITE.org/learning/install.php on line 224

Fatal error: require(): Failed opening required 'version.php' (include_path='/home/sensei21/public_html/seishin-kan.org/learning/lib/pear:.:/opt/cpanel/ea-php70/root/usr/share/pear') in /home/MYACCOUNT/public_html/WEBSITE.org/learning/install.php on line 224"

Any idea what I did wrong or how to fix it?  I suspect it's in the PHP settings, but I have no idea where to look.

[NOTE:  In the error message quoted above I substituted "MYACCOUNT" and "WEBSITE" for the actual names]

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Leonard Pellman

Re: No Such File or Directory Error on Initial Login

by James Steerpike -

Are you running your own server with root access? Can you install your own LAMP stack?

If the answer is no, your setup will depend on whatever the host configures and you hack together.  Which makes helping you very difficult.

I would suggest starting again with your install on a VPS with root access.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to James Steerpike

by Leonard Pellman -
It's hosted by Directnic, a hosting service that uses cPanel. We don't currently have the funds for VPS, so we were hoping to get Moodle to work on Directnic. Thanks for your suggestions, James.
In reply to Leonard Pellman

by James Steerpike -
The budget is important but hosting services are really designed for static pages. As well as problems installing, performance is likely to be slow since you are sharing resources with others. I have had a cpanel hosted service and a slow and unresponsive Moodle will be unpopular with students.
If you have less than 50 users, Moodlecloud is by far a better choice. With greater numbers, I would suggest looking at a DigitalOcean droplet which is comparable in price to a hosted service. If you do have these large numbers of users, with a cpanel hosted service your problems will only become apparent when your users log on. Been there, done that....
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to James Steerpike

by Leonard Pellman -
I will look into Moodlecloud. It may well be the best solution for the next couple years. Thanks again, James!