Marking system that allows for differentiation

Marking system that allows for differentiation

by Kelly Wylde -
Number of replies: 1

I’m trying to create a marking system for a course on Moodle that allows for differentiation:

• The course is 5 days long.

• Each day is worth 5 points – to achieve all 5 points, students must complete all the activities they are assigned each day.

• Some activities are mandatory.

• For other activities, students are given a choice: either do Quiz A, Quiz B, or Quiz C.

• As long as students complete an activity, they are awarded the top score (whether they receive a 5/10 or a 10/10 on a quiz, their mark remains the same).

• If students don’t complete a mandatory activity, or if they don’t complete any of the “optional” activities, then they have points subtracted from the day’s 5 pt value.

How do I track progress of these activities? The only way I can find is by awarding a certificate at the end of each day which is “all or none” (all 5 pts or 0 pts) – However, I would like to include partial grading for students who complete some activities but not all.

Example:

Student 1:

• Completes activity 1

• Completes activity 2

• Has to choose between 3 tasks for activity 3, and completes one of the three tasks

• Final value for Day 1= 5/5

Student 2:

• Completes activity 1

• Completes activity 2

• Is given the choice between 3 tasks for activity 3, and doesn’t complete any activity

• Final value for Day 1 = 3.3/5

Student 3:

• Completes activity 1

• Does not complete activity 2

• Is given the choice between 3 tasks for activity 3, and doesn’t complete any activity

• Final value for Day 1 = 1.6/5

I guess the other option could be to award a certificate after each completion of ANY of the “optional” activities, which students must view. These certificates and the mandatory activities can be used to calculate the score each day. Would this work? It seems a bit clunky.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kelly Wylde

Re: Marking system that allows for differentiation

by Kelly Wylde -

Bump. Some clarification:

Students can choose Quiz A, B, or C to complete.

If they only complete one of these, they are still given full marks/completion status for the activity. In other words, doing A and not doing B and C does not mean that some tasks are not complete. How is it possible to arrange that?