Animated .gifs and flash files

Animated .gifs and flash files

by Christy Gunnels -
Number of replies: 8
Is there a way for students to upload animated gifs and flash files into a journal so that all students can view each other's work?  The only option I can see is to insert a file from a web site, which is not an option in this case.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Christy Gunnels

Re: Animated .gifs and flash files

by Gustav W Delius -
You can use a forum for this. The students can attach their files to their posts. Have a look at the different types of forums you can have. Depending on your purposes either the "Each person posts one discussion" type or the "Q & A forum" type could be appropriate (actually the later one may be a Moodle 1.6 feature, I am not sure).
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Gustav W Delius

by Christy Gunnels -
Thank you, Gustav. I was hoping for a format in which the images appeared on the page rather than requiring uploading and viewing in another software.  I know this can be achieved in the journal by copying a url image location.  But these works are student created and not posted on the web.  Thanks for your advice. 

by Art Lader -
Hi, Christy,

Might the wiki not do this for you? If you created a "student wiki" and allowed binaries, I am pretty sure your students could upload multimedia files and embed them into their pages.

Regards,
Art
In reply to Art Lader

by Christy Gunnels -
Hi Art,
I had not looked at the Wiki. This is my first year working with Moodle and have been just trying to keep my head above water. I did a test fun and it seems that I can embed animated gifs. However, I can't seem to make shockwave flash files appear. Do you think wiki just does not support them? Is there a place I can see the file formats that wiki does support?

Also, in my perusal of the faqs I read a lot about DFWiki. It seems to have more capabilities than previous versions?.?  I'll have to check with our server administrator on what we have. 

Thanks for your interest and help.  Christy

by Art Lader -
DFWiki does seem to be more robust than the previous wiki, but I do not know the specifics. Maybe we should ask in the wiki forum about embedding Flash objects.

If you have the multimedia filter enabled, I would expect that simply linking to a Flash object would display it. You can tweak the size of the display. That may not be useful to you, I know, but it is worth mentioning.

-- Art

Attachment mmfilter.png
In reply to Art Lader

by Ray Lawrence -
For animated gifs, how about the Glossary module using the Encyclopaedia display format?

Ray

In reply to Art Lader

by Christy Gunnels -
Thanks Art. I am learning quite a bit. I don't think I have rights to set the filters. If I do, I can't find the administration settings. But I will ask our moodle manager to look into that for me.  Christy