Combining 'online' and 'uploadreview'

Combining 'online' and 'uploadreview'

by Gustav W Delius -
Number of replies: 4
It turns out that the assignment type that my colleagues really want is a combination of the 'online' and the 'uploadreview' type:
  • Students can submit an online text AND upload one or possibly SEVERAL files
  • Teachers can respond by submitting comments AND uploading one or several files.
I have promised to implement this tonight. Any comments are welcome.

It would probably help me if I had the most up-to-date version of the 'uploadreview' assignment type. The version in CVS is from last May. Does anyone know of a newer version?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gustav W Delius

Re: Combining 'online' and 'uploadreview'

by Chardelle Busch -
Picture of Core developers
Hi Gustav,

I think that's the latest version.  I have one suggestion, Michael, et. al have added the "email to students" option -- which I think should be standard for all assignments that teachers can grade/comment on so the students get notified.  You might think about adding this to yours too.

by Gustav W Delius -
I think I was a bit optimistic thinking that this would be a quick job for an evening. Instead I have started to first of all put some phpdoc documentation into the assignment module's lib.php. I am slowly beginning to understand it.

by Chardelle Busch -
Picture of Core developers

Oh boy,--take the time you think it will take you to do some coding, then times it by 10.

Here's some inspiration to keep you going.  I had an idea that this assignment type would be great for!

You could have an assignment that gives students the option to either do it online (for those who for some reason aren't able to upload a doc or would rather work online) or to upload it as a doc (for those who want to work on it offline)!!!big grin

Also, Gustav, your documentation should make it easier for others to create more plug-in assignment types!

by Josep M. Fontana -
I cannot offer you any help with the information you request but I can really tell you that combining these two types of assignments is a great idea. Precisely for the reason Chardelle mentions: it is good to be able to give the student the choice as to how s/he wants to hand in the assignment. I personally like the on-line assignment better because it is a bit more comfortable for me to revise but some of my students don't have good internet access at home and complain about having to write their assignments on-line. What I do then is to resort to the upload mode and everyone (even those who would have preferred to write it on-line) has to use Word or whatever. This solution would make everyone happy.

Josep M.