Images not loading

Images not loading

by tpkyteroo luebeck -
Number of replies: 12

1. Images did not load in 3.6 with scriptaculous install. 

2. Upgraded to 3.7 and still images don't load. 

3. I get a 403 forbidden error and the link to the image is in part "...pluginfile.php/26/course/overviewfiles/fc17.png".

4.  I have no trailing white space issue.

5. URLs changing to links and images box was unticked originally. Images didn't load so I ticked box and images  still didn't load.

6. Before plugins added, images did not show up. 

7. I did use the drag and drop method and also tried the search method (on my own PC for the image). Still, no images show up. 

Note: I will respond here on Friday if I can't get on here tomorrow if I get a response. (Just a courtesy note so that higher priority can be given to someone else if need be,  as I'm not on a deadline currently.)

Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to tpkyteroo luebeck

Re: Images not loading

by Adam Jenkins -
Picture of Plugin developers
This sounds like a file permissions problem. Do you have command line (shell) access to the server? Alternately, do you have a file manage or something where you can monitor/change file permissions?
In reply to Adam Jenkins

by tpkyteroo luebeck -

I've changed one image's permission to 755 and still couldn't get it to load. I'm not sure where the permissions are wrong as all the folders are 755 and the files 644, which I thought was the acceptable norm. (I just happen to be able to be here as I was a week ahead of myself with when I was busy.) LOL 

I will check every single folder and file and respond back when done. 

Questions: 

What folders require 777?  I found folders that were surprisingly set to 777 (in the data folder) and the image fiile to 755.

What folders can be set to 755? 

What folders can be set to 644?

What image files must be 777 in order to show? 

What image files can be set to 755?

What images files can be set to 644?

Lastly, does Moodle software hiccup and scream foul if the folder that it is in is NOT called Moodle?

Thanks!

by tpkyteroo luebeck -
Where should "1/core_admin/logo/0x200/-1/background.png" be found? I am not convinced that the file is actually writing TO the server! I also think that I need to uninstall Moodle, delete the database and reinstall using "moodle" as the folder name and wherever moodle puts moodle in folder names. I am not convinced that installing it with my name of file is working. I am assuming that the initial install was faullty to begin with. I can't do that today so I'll come back tomorrow and read here "before" I do anything further. Thanks! (And yes, I did do "Softaculous" for the 3.6 install, but then did the manual for 3.7 upgrade.

And yes, there is something wrong with writing to server as if Server is disallowing moodle images, but writing question content does work. File urls are not working I don't think either. Okay, I'll leave this until tomorrow. Thanks!

by tpkyteroo luebeck -

Found time this morning but even wtih Developer mode, extra Moodle debug messages, I got nothing! 

cPanel isn't registering any errors.

And, display debug messages On (to break xhtml, js, etc. - still nothing! Just broken images. 

Question: 1. Is there a special spot within moodle I should be looking for error messages? All I get is broken images. 

2. All I do is log in and images don't show. 

3. Sometimes, if the load isn't extremely fast, the default theme doesn't load either. (Forgot to mention this earlier). 

My computer is a windows 7 and I'm using the latest version of Chrome to access site.  On Firefox, no broken images or images show up for the header. However, in the course section, I see the broken image. (Not checking IE as I won't ever use that browser anyway as this is a private site.)

Thanks! I'll check back for a response.  (Didn't put this in install forum because the install and upgrade both seemed to work. It was only the images that never showed up. And with the theme not showing up randomly....thats just timing issues.)

Mod: Feel free to  move this to Install-Upgrade forum if you prefer that forum for this post. Thanks!

by tpkyteroo luebeck -
We can close this discussion as I'm going to uninstall and start over. Why? I don't think the initial install went properly in the first place. I'll also know exactly whats happening so that I can post in the CORRECT forum (:P) and get help. It might be my server's setting disallowing Moodle's setup with image access.

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Sorry to hear of your troubles ... but ... it happens! :\

Adam did suggest appropriately, me thinks ... + 1 Adam! smile

Starting over might be best at this point.

Issue might have been ...

"Softaculous" for the 3.6 install, but then did the manual for 3.7 upgrade"

Softac is a commercial product (code is not open sourced) provided by your hosting service. If made available to customers, seems to me if there are issues with
whatever app was installed by Softac, provider and Softac should exhaust their expertise in finding out why then suggest Community forums at Moodle.

If the 3.6.x never worked right, upgrading to next version up may not fix.  That goes for all of us! smile

For future postings ...

Before reporting an issue, gather some technical info you can share in these forums.

Descriptions as you've provided, but also ...
Where you host and what level of hosting .. shared server, VPS?
Operating system
PHP version
MySQL version

Much of that information can be seen in Moodle's Admin -> Server -> PHP info.

If moodle was installed and running, turn on debugging, try whatever is not working, come back to forums and post a description of issue and provide a clip of the debug.

https://docs.moodle.org/37/en/Debugging

Many times Google is your friend and searching via Google might hit on a  forum discussion here in community forums as well as other blogs .. if nothing else, hints ... but hopefully, solutions.

If an upgrade, did you research if your setup had what it needed by running the Environment Check in moodle?

https://docs.moodle.org/37/en/Environment

BTW, the moodle file system is kinda complicated ... files that are uploaded are uploaded to moodledata/filedir but there is also entered into moodle db mdl_files table a bunch of meta data - which is what is used to generate links to files.  While one can see and browse what's in moodledata/filedir/ via cPanel file manager one will note there is no file in there that is humanly re-cognizable any more ... ie, you won't find a graphic file by  humanly re-cognizable name, but by query of DB/mdl_files table.

Starting over does mean one thing ... you've learned (maybe) what doesn't work and that's a plus ... frustrating sometimes ... but a plus! smile

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Ken Task

by tpkyteroo luebeck -
Apparently, when I went to check PHP and other information to post that here, I checked and retrieved all that information, but forgot to post it here. ROFL Sorry!

by Adam Jenkins -
Picture of Plugin developers
When reinstalling, if possible I recommend installing using GiT and the instructions on moodle.org. Its a bit more complicated than most third party installers, but you'll learn exactly what's where, and later on, upgrades will not be dependent on a third party upgrading their images.

However, you would need shell (command line) access for this. Depending on your hosting situation, this might not be available.

Post here again if you're still having trouble. There's always someone to help you out. But try to post as much information as you can (see Ken's post on that).

Good luck!
In reply to Adam Jenkins

by tpkyteroo luebeck -
I did find a shell option that I will definitely use. I am aware that sometimes Softaculous does not actually work very well for certain installations. SMF forums doesn't recommend using softaculous either. The competitor Chamilo just works. However, moodle has some features that I want to use, so I'm still going to install Moodle. At least I have no deadlines as this is for an "unschoolers" school for 2 geeknerds that won't ever be public.

by Prince Namdev -
Luebeck - Did you get the solution after Adam explanation so that i can keep it note as a solution. I am trying to collect errors with their solutions in my notes. It will be great if i can get comment from you.
In reply to Prince Namdev

by tpkyteroo luebeck -
Not really because all of the permissions looked correct in my case. We seriously believe that the installation failed in the first place with 3.6. I've not reinstalled Moodle yet because I've been busy. I'll start a new thread in the proper forum after I reinstall and get to a point where it isn't working after useing shell command properly.

by Prince Namdev -
Thanks Luebeck, Please let me know when you will start the new thread that will really helpful for me to add this case in my notes.