Unusual Environment Install Question

Unusual Environment Install Question

by Tim Lewis -
Number of replies: 5

Hi all, this question is a little unusual but keen to get some feedback.

I work in the cruise / shipping sector and considering Moodle for deployment to meet training requirements on board.  This environment is unlike any other, and capabilities we take for granted, such as internet or 4/5G, etc. are not always reliable in the middle of the ocean! 

I'm therefore looking for alternatives and options to overcome lack of access to regular internet, and would love to hear from anyone who may have examples of installations in similar environments.

Thanks in advance,

Tim

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tim Lewis

Re: Unusual Environment Install Question

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Your post caught my interest.  I am not an expert on it, but you might want to explore "MoodleBox."  It would be a "local" server approach and might work.  Others here might give you more advice about MoodleBox.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Tim Lewis -

Awesome Rick, thanks so much, will check it out.

In reply to Tim Lewis

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
You need a portable server. https://moodlebox.net/en/help/what-is-the-moodlebox/ is very portable. Being the size of a pack of cigarettes, the ship won't notice anything. wink

The downside could be, with 10 W power consumption Raspberry Pi is not a real server. Currently the number of _simultaneous_ users is limited to 25: https://discuss.moodlebox.net/d/36-low-number-of-concurrent-connected-users. It might change though. See towards the end of the above discussion.
In reply to Tim Lewis

by Jon Bolton -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

If you have a local area network on the ship then you can still run Moodle, with one computer acting as the server. Do you have IT support to help you?

In reply to Tim Lewis

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
You don't need the public Internet to run Moodle. It'll run perfectly happily on a local "intranet". Which, I assume, is what modern ships must have.

Your only restriction is that you will definitely need an "on board" server for Moodle. However, again, I suspect that this isn't going to be a huge issue as it will be the same for other systems.