v3.7 Async restore fails

v3.7 Async restore fails

by Tim Titchmarsh -
Number of replies: 1

Hi

I have upgraded to v3.7 mainly to take advantage of the async backup/restore of courses. 

I can backup async ok, works nicely and takes < 10 minutes with my 40,000 question bank (would take 8 hours to backup before)

However, when I come to restore the same course just backed up on the same moodle server and instance it fails.

I am leaving the restore defaults as is and restoring into a new course with same category.

When started, the process thinks for 30 seconds then the async progress bar shows. After a few minutes it finishes (no longer appears in the restoring course section and cpu usage back to near zero so I'm assuming its done)

As admin, I check my course and can see the course (now called "Course restoration in progress" and hidden) in the list of courses. There is no content in the course. As a double check I left overnight but still same name and no content.

I check the server task logs and I can see the error shown below.

If I switch off Async restore and try again it restores (although the gateway times out after a few minutes it does completely restore.)

Also, if I leave out the question bank (40k questions) in the backup/restore in Async mode it works ok when restoring Async

any ideas please?

thanks

Tim

Moodle running 3.7+ (Build: 20190524)

PHP  7.2.18

Task log output for failed async restore.

Execute adhoc task: core\task\asynchronous_restore_task

... started 07:50:03. Current memory use 43.2MB.

Processing asynchronous restore for id: 462d4fc203630af317fb9a676c94980f

Bad backup controller status, is: 800 should be 700, marking job as failed.

Restore completed in: 0 seconds

... used 8 dbqueries

... used 0.026376008987427 seconds

Adhoc task complete: core\task\asynchronous_restore_task

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tim Titchmarsh

Re: v3.7 Async restore fails

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I feel slightly guilty.... I tried the async restore over the last week or so. Out of 20 or so course restores about 5 failed. I switched off async restore and they all worked first go. I haven't had time to investigate further but, yes, it may well have issues.