Students cannot reply to forum posts

Students cannot reply to forum posts

by Bret Miller -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Moodle 3.5.6+ (Build: 20190514)

We use forums as a regular activity in our courses. Until this week, that seemed to be working very well. But all of a sudden, students cannot reply to forum posts. Not in simple discussion forums. Not in standard forums. They can start new topics in a standard forum but cannot reply to existing ones.

We don't use groups at all. I double-checked the forums to make sure they were set to no groups.

The forums are set to "do not lock discussions".

The time period is set to "don't block".

Students have both reply to posts and reply to locked discussions permission. I verified by checking permissions in the forum for multiple students.

Date and time is correct on the server

Courses are all in weekly format.

I tried searching in tracker but didn't see any issues there related to this. Or at least I couldn't find one. 

Has anyone seen this before? Any ideas what might cause it?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bret Miller

Re: Students cannot reply to forum posts

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

1. Presumably they are not accessing as guests?
  2. Do they see the Reply link or not?

Sorry I don't have any immediate responses but just trying to get more informationsmile

In reply to Bret Miller

by Bret Miller -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
OK. This can be ignored I think. Most often we test these things by using "switch role to" "student". A student reported the problem and sure enough, when we switch role to student, the reply link disappears. I did, however, apply the latest minor build update between then and now, and log actually logging in as a student shows the reply link correctly while switch role to student does not. I guess just an inconsistency in behavior.
In reply to Bret Miller

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
"suddenly"

Who changed something? Check the admin logs for around that time.