Link in app - causing browser to open

Link in app - causing browser to open

by Durita Hoydal -
Number of replies: 7

Hello Moodlers!

I added a link for the dashboard at the end of all my courses, as I had an issue with my users not going back there, when finishing a module - and this appeared to work. 

The link i added was: https://mysite.moodlecloud.com/my/

(I made the dashboard, the default home page)

Now the links suddenly open up the browser instead of redirecting to the dashboard within the app. 

I am fairly sure this worked a couple of days ago ( but do not trusting my memory entirely). I am mostly afraid that I disabled/activated something in the Site Administration by accident.

Anyone having any ideas, how I might solve this or experiencing the same issue?

Best, 

Durita

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Durita Hoydal

Re: Link in app - causing browser to open

by Gregory Davidson -
Hi Durita.
I wish I could offer a solution to this problem, but I'm in a similar situation X 10. You see... I am searching for a Pre-School solution that presents English videos and CONFINES them within the mobile app and not let loose on the internet at large. The videos MUST play natively within the Moodle mobile app.
Interestingly enough, both my wife's and my experiences work perfectly. Others install the app and videos play in an unwanted browser window.
It's a curious occurrence, but its VITAL to my release to parents as matter of child protection.
I hope there is help out there.
Greg.
In reply to Gregory Davidson

Re: Re: Link in app - causing browser to open

by Dani Palou -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Greg,

how are you adding the videos? If you use the "File" resource, make sure to configure the setting "Appearance > Display" o "Embed". That way the video should display embedded in the app. Please notice that the users will be able to download the video, and in Android devices they're able tot navigate to the app's folder and get the video from there so they could share it.

The only way to prevent the download of the video would be to host it in a streaming platform (e.g. YouTube or Vimeo). Vimeo paid plans let you restrict videos so they can only be seen in your site, maybe other streaming platforms have a similar service.

Cheers,
Dani
In reply to Dani Palou

Re: Re: Link in app - causing browser to open

by Gregory Davidson -
Thanks Dani

After many hours of experimentation, I have settled on solutions that protect the early learners from straying into a live browser, (eg YouTube) to view and sing along with our selection of English Language videos. If the caregiver is distracted from supervision, the child is confined within the Moodle mobile app.

To embed the video within the Moodle site I uploaded both the mp4 and thumbnail to a moodledata repository.
USING THE ATTO HTML Editor, I added the video with thumbnail size 500 X auto.

It works like a charm and plays within the Moodle media player.

I recommend the installation of the Moodle app on smart phones and tablets. (This will not stop internet access via normal browser usage)

For further security, I suggest DOWNLOAD the Course on the app, and switch to AEROPLANE mode. This WILL prevent internet access.

You are welcome trial my developments so far using the app.

Moodle Site: speak2us.ru/moodle
-- Removed my moderator. Please do not share credentials. --

Thanks for your support.

Greg.
PS: Now I'm trying to get the Multilang to work on the app. It's works fine on the website.

(Edited by Juan Leyva - original submission Wednesday, 12 June 2019, 9:34 AM)

by Dani Palou -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Durita,

sorry for the delay in answering. I just tested this in a Moodlecloud site and it seems to work fine for us. Maybe the URL of your site changed? E.g. if you upgrade to a school site the URL changes, so the app thinks the link belongs to a different site.

Cheers,
Dani
In reply to Dani Palou

by Durita Hoydal -

Hi Dani, 

Thank you for your reply - I believe I figured it out, and it was something like you say. 

I  disabled the app-site (page?) that my link was referring to under: siteadministration>mobile app>mobile features, so by re-abling it, the app did not open up the browser anymore and all was joy. 

Now I am experiencing a similar problem. When new users log on to the app the first time, a browser window opens to show the policies, and then the users have to find their way back to the app. Again - I believe this worked a brief while ago, and now it does not. So I am working my way trough the features I disabled, in order to have the policy agreement back within the app. 

Best, 

Durita 

by Dani Palou -
Hi Durita,

I was checking the code and, as far as I can see, the only requirement to open the site policy in the app is to have the following WebService available:

core_user_agree_site_policy

This WS was introduced in Moodle 3.2. If your site is 3.2 or higher, please go to "Site administration > Plugins > Web services > External services" and make sure that WS is available in the service the app is using (by default it uses "Moodle mobile web service", but if you have local_mobile installed then it will use that one).

Cheers,
Dani