Editing bullets and numbers - Microsoft Word File Import/Export (Book)

This forum post has been removed

Number of replies: 3
The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
In reply to Deleted user

Re: Editing bullets and numbers - Microsoft Word File Import/Export (Book)

by Eoin Campbell -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

<Ctrl>+<Shift>+L is already mapped to create the "List Bullet" style by default in Word.
<Ctrl>+<Shift>+S is already mapped to open the "Apply Styles" panel, so I don't recommend overriding it.

I recommend using the moodleBookStartup.dotm Word template I created, that has a set of commands and keyboard shortcuts defined to speed up editing (cf. http://www.moodle2word.net/mod/resource/view.php?id=44). In this template, <Ctrl>+8 applies the List Bullet style, and <Ctrl>+9 the List Number style. The screenshot below shows the custom Ribbon and the various built-in and custom styles named so that its easier to use. Shortcuts are displayed when you mouse over a style name.

You need to install the template in your Word Startup folder (usually something like C:\Documents and Settings\<your_account>\Application Data\Microsoft\Word\Startup\)See http://www.moodle2word.net/mod/page/view.php?id=16 for instructions on how to do this. 

This template contains VBA macros, and in some cases, Windows 10 may warn that they contain viruses. They don't, but the digital signature is now out-of-date too, so it makes it more awkward to install.

I also recommend using a standard Word style template to apply the same formatting to all documents made. The attached Word style template is one that I use. It does not contain any VBA macros, so you shouldn't have any trouble with it. It should be installed somewhere like C:\Documents and Settings\<your_account>\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates\.

You can also just assign your own preferred shortcuts, see instructions at How to Assign Keyboard Shortcuts to Styles in Microsoft Word.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Eoin Campbell

This forum post has been removed

The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
In reply to Deleted user

Re: Editing bullets and numbers - Microsoft Word File Import/Export (Book)

by Eoin Campbell -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I've done a fair bit of re-formatting myself, and I feel your pain. I had to copy and paste from PDF files, so it was probably even worse than starting with Microsoft Word files. Here are some suggestions on how to speed things up.

• Rather than going through the document in a linear way and applying the various different formats as you meet them, go through it multiple times, each time applying a different format: first mark up all the headings, then the bullet lists, then numbered lists, tables, etc.
  • Learn all the keyboard shortcuts you can, avoid using the mouse.
  • You can select a whole set of list items and format them in one step.
  • Theoretically, you could try using Search and Replace to find bullet list paragraphs by their default formatting, and replace them with the named style "List Bullet", but I found this difficult to achieve.
  • Set Draft view and turn on the Navigation pane, and turn on the Style Area window so that you can see all the paragraph style names as you are applying the formatting (see screenshot below).