Automatic Email/Notification to users when new course is uploaded

Automatic Email/Notification to users when new course is uploaded

by Big Picture -
Number of replies: 3

Hi,

I was wondering if there's a method of notifying students of a new course being uploaded to our LMS system. I've searched the plugin directory but couldn't find a plugin which could do what we were looking for.

The email notification needs to

• Tell students that a new course has been uploaded.
  • Inform students that they haven't completed a certain course
  • Inform them that they only have a certain number of days to complete the course
Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks,
Seb
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Big Picture

Re: Automatic Email/Notification to users when new course is uploaded

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I don't know of any plug-in, but one might exist.

I do these things using good-old email.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Big Picture -

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the reply.

Manually doing this would be good, however, it would require an admin to check the reporting system to see who has and has not done a course. It would be great if a plugin or if it already exists within Moodle to have this automated.

Thanks,
Seb

In reply to Big Picture

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Yes, I understand.

In my own case, I teach university courses that have an end-of-semester date.  I also have to move the Moodle grades into my university's grading system.  So when I finish moving the grades, I simply email the students that the course is officially over and grades have been submitted.  So my situation might be a little different than yours.

My students know when the semester ends, so I don't have a need to remind them.  If I did, I would make an entry into the Calendar says "Course Ends in 4 Days."  But if your courses don't have an official end date, this technique would not work.

Also, when I turn a course on, I send students my Welcome email.  This is how I begin a course.  (Students self-enroll.)